Sunday, November 15, 2020

Respect for Tom Heinsohn

 Last week, Celtics legend Tom Heinsohn died at age 86, and while I did see articles talking about his basketball playing career, his coaching career, and the fact that he is inducted into the Hall of Fame for both (a rarity) and his broadcasting career, I didn't see anything that mentioned the greatest contribution he made. 

Tom Heinsohn was (apparently) the first white player to to take a stand and say segregation was wrong. The first to refuse to stay at a hotel, or eat at a restaurant, that did not also serve his black teammates. This would have been in the 1950s, although I don't know the exact date or location.

That is, I feel, his greatest moment, even though it didn't happen at a basketball game, or even at an arena. His personality grated on me...made the Celtics games almost unwatchable in fact...but Respect...yes, he has mine for sure. 

I didn't want that to be forgotten. 






I don't have any playing career cards of his- he only has three mainstream playing career cards, one from 1957-58 Topps and two in 1961-62 Fleer, and all three are well out of my price range. So here are his card from the 1993 Action Packed Hall of Fame, 1984-85 Star Schick Legends game, and 2015 Basketball Hall of Fame set, which is as far as I know his only coaching card. 

I don't really do memorial posts outside my year end In Memorium post anymore, but that I feel was definitely worthy of one. RIP.  

8 comments:

  1. I've always read that Bob Cousy was the first to take a stand on such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interview with Cousy where I learned that Heinsohn was first actually.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for making this post.

    As a Celtics fan, I'm going to miss his voice on broadcasts. However I can totally understand non-Celtic fans not finding him as entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he worked up to this past season, didn't he?

      Delete
  3. Way before my time, but I knew of Heinsohn from my father. Didn't realize he stood up for his black teammates. That's awesome. Sure glad I picked up his autograph awhile back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to have a Hall of Famer's auto. I don't have his. He signed for Panini regularly so maybe someday.

      Delete
  4. I've never been a big basketball guy as you know, but I have watched my fair share of Celtics games and always loved his color commentary back in the day. Agree with you that he and Cousy taking a stand against segregation may be his most admirable accomplishment. Awarding "Tommy Points" has to be right up there in the top 5 though, that always cracked me up! Great tribute post, Billy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have to admit I didn't watch many games he broadcast. A few when I was in Taunton and a few on League Pass. Nowhere near my least favorite broadcaster though...Jeff Van Gundy holds that position by a wide margin.

      Delete