Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Unexpected local reference on a card!


 I have been so busy with models that I have not had a chance to read the new cards that my friend Brad sent me for my birthday...but now it's cold and rainy, so I'm working on cards...and what do I see when editing the back scan, but a mention of the Poughkeepsie Journal! 


The Journal is our local newspaper, and has been in continuous publication since 1785, the second oldest newspaper in the entire USA. 

I've actually been to their main office, which is in a neat old building. 

Lydon himself is a semi-local hero, as he is from Hudson, about an hour north of me, and about 45 minutes north of the Journal's location...but they don't cover north of Rhinebeck. 

This is not the only time that the Poughkeepsie Journal has appeared on cards. They actually produced their own at some point in the 1980s but they are extremely elusive. Not even on the Trading Card Database. The only way I know they even exist is because there are two of them in the display cases at the Dutchess County Sports Museum. 

Although the back is the reason for this post, here's the front, too, just for posterity.

Being a Prizm (Chrome) style card it didn't scan all that well. 

That was a nice surprise to find. 

6 comments:

  1. It's not every day a small-ish town newspaper is mentioned on a card. Very cool.

    I have a Tyler Lydon Panini Prizm RC, I'll check out the back and see if there are any pther mentions of your area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I'd be excited if the San Jose Mercury News was mentioned on a card. Grew up checking box scores every morning of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen it on a Sharks card but I have no idea which one.

      Delete
    2. I have a 5k box filled with Sharks, not sure I have the patience to sift through them though.

      Delete
  3. Not sure if anything here has ever been mentioned anywhere lol. Cool piece to have for you

    ReplyDelete