Sunday, October 8, 2023

New People Scanned in September 2023

 After not doing much scanning at all during the summer, I certainly made up for it in September! With injuries to both feet I couldn't do much else, certainly not modeling which requires 4 trips up and down the stairs each time I work on models, not even counting the trips outside to paint which adds even more trips. One foot is now healed but the other is still very problematic- so I scanned. Oh did I scan! I ended up scanning exactly 1234 cards in the month of September, and 252 of them were people getting scans for the first time! 

There's a good reason why there are so many. My best friend, the one who sent me that huge box I posted about back in 2015 where I saw my hockey collection grow from 28 to 2800 cards in a single day-is a big fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He wanted to see them take over the lead in all my football categories, so he sent me basically all of his duplicates, bringing my Buccaneers supply from "normal" to "ample"...according to the Database I now have 493 Buccaneers cards, and the next closest team has 122. So yeah...ample. 

So, since these were easy to access, about half of everything I scanned this month was football, which is definitely unusual for me. When you see the screenshots, you'll see other football too...it wasn't just the Buccaneers he sent me, and he also sent me some baseball and hockey as well, both of which led to new people getting scanned. 

But wait, there's more! Since the last time I did any scanning, I was able to find some NBA blasters at my local Wal-Mart, which is the first time in a long while. I found one for 2021-22 Illusions and 2022-23 Hoops and Donruss. So not only are there rookies in there, there's also players who debuted in the 2/3 years where cards were scarce at retail and I have only a scant few. For instance, Anthony Edwards- the #1 pick in the draft now 3 years ago, is appearing for the first time this month. Interestingly enough, the first pick of the draft from last season and the first pick from this season also appear for the first time this month, thanks to Topps Now producing an NBA set for the first time. Unfortunately I didn't pull any Cade Cunningham cards in those three blasters, or else I could have had 4 straight #1 draft picks appear for the first time in the same month-something that has not happened since I began collecting the NBA in 1996. Oh well. 

Even so, with them, Football still has the largest influx of new people, with 145 of the 252 being football players. 

It took me 8 days to get them all sorted and uploaded, which ensures that I won't accomplish nearly as much scanning in October. That's ok...don't want to get burned out. 



As always, click the image to see them larger and actually make them large enough to read the names. Thanks for reading. 

6 comments: