Friday, December 29, 2023

Cards for Christmas and a major milestone

 Sorry I'm a few days late in getting this posted, but once again my family came through in a big way with cards for Christmas this year. I know that Christmas is traditionally the biggest day of the year for me in adding new cards to my collection and I've been working hard on documenting them since that day, although working hard is a bit of a misnomer...it's a lot of fun, and it's not hard to do...just takes time. 

Like I said...big way! 

Now, let's see some of the hits...




When I bought myself a box of 2023 Donruss in the spring my card I pulled from this insert was missing the relic piece...I joke that I pulled race used air. 







All in all, I got 798 new cards...at least. I know that many for sure, but some of my 2010-11 Score carda are from the Glossy parallel, which I didn't know when I was documenting them in my paper listing. I thought they were ALL glossy until I had some in hand together and realized one version was a parallel. And since you can't tell from scans, I have to wait and see which version I had previously until I can get them in hand again and check. 
The Flight set is one of the coolest sets in a long time. It's unfortunately small at only 70 cards and 20 of them are short printed so I didn't get a complete set, but I did get a stack of duplicates. This card is the Major Milestone. And when I say Major Milestone, it's my 200,000th overall card to enter my collection since I began collecting in 1988! At least I am considering it as such because that's what my current records show. I'm in the middle of proofing my collection charts and hopefully will have the correct, full number early next year, but for now I consider this #200000. Even when I get to have the full number, I'll still consider this one the milestone card because it's the one I thought was the milestone at the time. 
This is a really cool card and the photo doesn't do it justice. 
The scan shows it's brightness much better! They do these Highlighters inserts in 5 colors, and I've already secured an orange and a blue on COMC. The green, my favorite color, seems to be the rarest as they only have two for sale and both well over what I want to pay for a single card. There is also a purple version. COMC can't tell the difference between pink and purple but they are easily discernable. They have them both listed as pink. 


More clear plastic fun. 

From my MVP box I pulled an MVP Talent Colors & Contours parallel that is SN 20/20 on the back. Pretty rare to get a numbered card from MVP.  
This is, I think, my favorite card I got on Christmas. I have always been fascinated with Zeppelins, airships, blimps and the like. 
I will end with this Checkers parallel from 2021 Chronicles...which is extra cool because it's SN 06/49, which was Mark's # from 1988-2006 including 1999 when this photo was taken. 

I hope you all had as excellent a day as I did! 


13 comments:

  1. Wow! Quite a haul with some really nice cards! Congratulations on hitting that #200,000 milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what that Carrie Fisher card is but it looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a film relic. They take old 35 millimeter film strips and cut them up and put them into cards. Upper Deck did the same thing back in the 90s.

      Delete
  3. Love that Holtz auto! Your Christmas hauls are always impressive. I'm completely clueless about racing cards - did you just have incredible luck with those hits, or was it within the odds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much spot on. Each blaster promises one hit and the hobby box promises 2 race used and one autograph, which is exactly what I got. The SN Spectra parallel was an added bonus but I'm not sure if that counts as a hit. Race used tire cards are incredibly common because they use 5 or 6 sets of tires per race at least. I know where you can get whole race used tires for $40 and there was a whole stack of them. I think I even posted them a month or so ago. I don't mind, I still love to get them.

      Delete
  4. Wasn't familiar with that Flight set... but that Carrie Fisher card is cool. It reminds me of those Game Film inserts that Upper Deck produced in the 90's. By the way... I'm pretty stoked to see a new SR-71 card to collect. It's one of those SP's from that Flight product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's basically the same concept as UD did back in the day only with a movie instead of sports clips. I checked my duplicate stash but no Blackbird. The SPs aren't super hard to get so I don't think you will have much trouble locating one.

      Delete
  5. I got one blaster. Totally jealous of your big openings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I would have been completely happy if I just got one as well. All this is just proverbial gravy. No gravy on actual cards....although the Flight set does offer space flown pudding as a relic card.

      Delete
  6. My favorite is the Zeppelin card. That image is striking.

    ReplyDelete