Thursday, January 8, 2015

Box Review: 2015 Press Pass Cup Chase (The Last Press Pass set)

Writing this today is not wholly a pleasant experience. I debated if I should even write a hobby blog post after the shocking loss of my 24 year old cousin yesterday, but, as always, cards are the best thing I know of to get your mind off your troubles.

As I talked about 2 posts ago, Press Pass has closed up shop, and the future is fairly bleak for NASCAR card collectors, like myself. I was not planning to get a box of 2015 Cup Chase, as I felt it was too expensive. (They retail for $150) I hadn't gone past the $100 barrier for a box in 5 years now. But with this being the last ever Press Pass product, I decided to go for it. It turned out to be one of the better boxes I've done, and I did better than average, taking home 3 autographs and 4 relics, one more than you can expect per box, each. Two of them were autographed relics, bringing my NASCAR total of autographed relics up to 5.
Man, that Joey Logano card has to be one of the best I've ever pulled. It was in the penultimate pack, the Hamlin auto was in the last pack. The Tony Stewart card is serially numbered 1 of 50. In an odd coincidence, I pulled two cards serially numbered 01/XX from the 2013 Press Pass box I did, the last time I did a flagship set box.
The odd coincidence- the Chase Elliott Green parallel in the bottom middle row here is serially numbered 1 of 10! I'm not a huge fan of Chase Elliott, but that is one heck of a card. And oddly enough, I had won another of the green parallels in a contest on NUTS, making it the first time in my collection that I have more than one card from a set numbered to ten or below. The Kyle Larson car is the Blue parallel, while the Allmendinger, Dillon and Kenseth cards are all the gold parallel. No luck pulling the Melting (1/1). The Jamie McMurray autograph came out of the very first pack, right after the Chase Elliott green. Of the three autographs I got, all of them were new to my collection. At some point I will type up a list of the unique people with autographs in my collection.

Here are all the base cards, and the one Dale Earnhardt Tribute insert card, that I got out of the box.
I had previously been given or had won several of the cards, so I ended up getting several duplicates. You can see them on my Tradelist, with scans, Here (2015 Press Pass Cup Chase Tradelist)

And there you have it. The very last box of Press Pass cards I will ever open new. I'm sure it won't be the last ever, as there are lots of sets that I am still not complete on, but they will all be older issues.

Whenever I am approaching a Milestone card (each thousand) I try to make it a current season card, just to track my progress. I hit 25,000 in 2014 with a 2014 card, but it looks like that may not be the case for 26,000, which will likely be sometime in 2015, if I am lucky.

As always, thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. I am gonna miss Press Pass. They did an excellent job with their NASCAR cards. It will be hard to replace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I tore into them often but I miss them already. Made worse by the fact that no one has stepped up to do NASCAR yet...and may not. Hopefully somebody will!

      Delete