Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Cards from Kin

I got a somewhat surprise mailing from the similarly named but probably not related Kin Kinsley yesterday, of I Feel Like A Collector Again and Bean's Ballcard Blog fame. (My family name only had the G added circa 1905, so it can't be ruled out that we might be distant cousins)

If he hadn't told me it was coming, it would have been a total surprise, total total because I can't remember giving him my address before, although it's possible I did and just forgot...enough people have it that it's not hard to get though, it's even posted on (a members only) section of the NASCAR card forum.

There was an eclectic, good mix of cards in the mailer-

Two promo panels- one a three-card, three sport panel, the other a two card panel. The 3-card panel is on record as my Card of the Day for March 20th so you will see a scan of it in the post for the month. Bird Averitt is clearly enjoying the photography process.
In photo 2, probably my favorite card is the Howlet Monkey. I'm a big fan of monkeys, though I don't think I've ever mentioned that on the blog. (although maybe I did as I already had a tag for them on here) The Shane Doan pre-NHL card is my first from the set. I don't think I realized the Pinnacle set had different photography in the American and Canadian versions until just now. The "card" showing Dirk is actually a pocket schedule- a rarity to add to my collection. This is my first for the Mavs. I only have about 10 total. The Player of the Day promotion was not done locally so I am glad to get them. And is there anything that says 1970s more than a card of John Travolta combing his hair?

If there is, I don't want to know.

The Saturday Night Fever set is also new to my collection...getting two new sets in a single mailing, especially one that wasn't a hashed out trade, is actually pretty rare.

Thanks Kin, it's much appreciated! Now that I have your address, don't be too surprised to find a Blackhawk or two winging it's way to your collection....eventually! (Speed is not my strong suit)

I had planned on doing my whole Error Gallery series consecutively, but had to take a quick break to get a thank you post up...what you have seen is just the beginning.

14 comments:

  1. Your comments about Bird and John Travolta made me laugh out loud. Nothing like a good sense of humor to make a good blog even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like to sneak in some humor when I can!

      Delete
  2. Kin is a good egg. He is a WVU guy like myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, I've been seeing his efforts to promote the hobby for quite a while now

      Delete
  3. Glad they made it and hope they add something to your collection. They didn't really fit into mine. The reason I sent the Brotens was the photo difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir, I needed them all except the Averitt, that set is complete...but I've misplaced it so it may be the start of a replacement collection!

      Delete
    2. I did see on TCDB that you had the Averitt, but I didn't know anyone else whose collection it would fit into as well as yours.

      Delete
    3. I actually like to keep two duplicates from each set, to use as bookends when my sets are sorted by set, and I didn't have any for this set- well, I did but traded them away. So even though it's technically a dupe it still does serve a purpose for my collection. Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Oh, and yeah, I got your address from you probably a year or so ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My memory is shot, lol. One of the main reasons I started the blog, if I wrote stuff as it happened I wouldn't have to try and remember!

      Delete
  5. This is just the beginning? I cant wait to see what else Kin sent your way. I dont think I knew about the photo difference in Pinnacle, either. And it's always fun to see a WLAF card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor choice of words on my part, what I showed was just the start of the error collection. I hope to get another error post up today.

      Delete
  6. Ooooo, Saturday Night Fever, I am going to have to go in search of some of those...maybe for A Pack to be Named Later. Great stuff from Kin.

    ReplyDelete