Saturday, March 31, 2018

He's at it again: Another surprise box of cards shows up!

I said to my family earlier today, before checking the PO box, that I wasn't expecting anything, but that doesn't always mean there won't be something there anyway, and sure enough...what was waiting for me but another box of cards and stuff, all the way from Germany, and SumoMenkoMan!

If you have been following A Pack to be Named Later, you'll see that Ryan has been posting a lot of oddball stuff, random non-sports cards and some lesser-known sports like Sled Dog racing. Well, guess who now has most of those cards in his possession? If you guessed me, you guessed correctly!

There's actually some brand new sports for me in here, too...it's not every day that I can add a brand new sport...let alone more than one...in one day! I'm especially intrigued by the handball set, shown in the bottom right, as it's kind of a cross between basketball and hockey, from what little I know of it. (I know they were trying to recruit LeBron James to come play in their league at one point!)

An added bonus, most if not all of the people in these packs (minus the Beach Boys, a set I REALLY need to work on) will be all new for my collection. As you saw in my Blog Bat Around getting as many different people as possible is a project I'm working on.

It's going to take me a while to get into all these, because as is my style lately I'm spreading out everything...at least for the remainder of this year.

But it wasn't all cards...oh no..

German Chocolate! Legendary. These too will be parceled out slowly...but I know they are going to be good. as soon as I saw the customs form, and the contents of the box, my mind flashed to one thing...
Homer's "Land of Chocolate" fantasy when some Germans bought the power plant way back in season 3. (As an aside, I wish the Frinkiac gif generator could have gotten the whole scene, it's one of my favorites of that season)

And then there is this cool NBA/Spalding branded notepad. I have no idea where you'd ever find something like this, or what year it's from, but it's really cool. I'll probably keep it as a collectible rather than actually use it, to be honest. The David J. Stern signature impression dates it somewhere between 1984 and 2014, at least.
Thank you so much my friend, I still don't know how I got to be on the receiving end of such kindness, but I am forever grateful! 

25 comments:

  1. The chocolate is mouth watering but so is that assortment of packs. Great gift. If you like those Ritter Sport bars I know I've seen them at Cost Plus World Market (if there's one near you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool stuff Billy! I miss German candy and going to the bratwurst stands. Dang. Those memories go way back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't think I've ever actually had bratwurst, but I know my dad liked it.

      Delete
  3. Professional Handball? And they have cards? Oh well if bowling can have cards I guess Handball can too. For all of my childhood life and a good portion of my adult life I lived at my parents house which was right next to a park. The part of the park we were near has some baseball fields, an ice skating rink, some outdoor basketball hard top courts, tennis courts (which some years ago were expanded and a tennis "bubble" was erected, it was temporary at first but after several dozen years they eventually built a permanent tennis building.) Next to the basketball courts and the tennis courts were a couple of handball court walls. As a kid sometimes we would go to the handball courts to practice/play tennis against the handball courts. Of course there was an unwritten rule that if there were any people coming to play handball they had the right of way to use the handball wall. These walls were as wide as a tennis court and something like 20 feet tall the courts were built so there were two walls so that 4 handball games could go on. At one time we had one or two handballs and would attempt to play handball or at least our version of it. I think they tore down the handball courts sometime during the late 1980s or early 1990s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the handball you're thinking of, which is like racquetball without racquets, is a completely different sport from team handball. This handball is more like indoor soccer where you can use your hands, or water polo without the water. It's an Olympic sport.

      Delete
    2. I think it's like soccer, known as football to the rest of the world, with two sports using the same name.

      Delete
  4. Normally I'd be drooling over those packs... but those Happy Hippos definitely steal this post. They're delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried them yet...the Ritter is what I've sampled, and I like them all so far, still have one left to try.

      Delete
  5. I've been meaning to pick up some flat rate boxes (for like a year now) so I can send you all the stuff I put up for you, but since I dunno when that will be & you mentioned needing to work on the Beach Boys set, I'll just send you what I have of those on their own this coming week. Do you any inserts or parallels or just the base?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also Ritter Sport is love, Ritter Sport is life. 😍

      Delete
    2. Haha, I thought you forgot to be honest, because I sort of did! I'm going to get as much as I can. I've been a fan of their music for most of my life but I found out in December 2016 that the Wilsons and Mike Love are distant cousins. Very distant, but still related!

      Delete
  6. His packages are legendary, and this one is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool. I like the assortment of packs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad it arrived okay and the cards and chocolate will be put to good use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do appreciate it! And the chocolates are indeed legendary!

      Delete
  9. Great stuff. His blog is great to read and it's fun to see ya nab a surprise box from him. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I can honestly say everything I know about sumo cards I learned from him.

      Delete
  10. So much sealed goodness, especially those Ritter bars! Have fun tearing into those, and the (mostly) non-sports packs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look fabulous. You have shared the amazing ideas. Thank you.
    <a href="https://custompackagingboxes.co.uk/shop/product-packaging-boxes/> Product Packaging Boxes </a>

    ReplyDelete