Monday, April 2, 2018

Error Gallery: Mis-aligned effects

It would have made perfect sense to post an Error Gallery post on April Fool's Day, but it didn't occur to me in time...

There are lots of special things done to cards to make them special. Sometimes, though, it goes wrong.
2003 Press Pass Top Shelf #TS2
The only card I've ever seen where the embossing is off center and the image is not!

1995 Classic #45
 I wasn't quite sure where to put this one- the silver is not properly lined up with the white underlay. Could have easily gone in Print Error as well.
1995-96 Metal #136

1995-96 Metal #173

1995-96 Metal #191
All three cards from 1995-96 Metal Series 2 are missing the "metalizing" effect at the very top of the card, most clearly visible on the basketball. I also have a Danny Ferry with the same issue but it's nearly impossible to see in the scan so I didn't post it.

I have a couple of cards from 1996 SP NASCAR that the scans are really awful on and need to be rescanned, and the annoying this is that I had them in my hand in the month of March and forgot they needed to be rescanned, and put them back in the box...which is a pain in the butt to get in to, but...the scan doesn't show up anyway. The error is that the hologram background has a layer added over it where the picture was, and I have two cards that it was not lined up accurately, and you can see a hologram silhouette around the person's picture.  You can kind-of-sort-of see it on this Rusty Wallace card, he's not supposed to have that glow around his head.

Now, by sharing this scan, you can see why I've been debating trying to fix or just outright re-scan a large portion of my NASCAR collection. (I've mentioned that mental debate several times over the course of Cardboard History). There's a lot of crappy work that I accepted as "good enough" for some reason, when I scanned my entire collection in 2009 and 2010. This is totally unacceptable yet I accepted it. I have no idea what I was thinking, proving that not only card companies make errors. Also, I somehow messed up the creation of this post so you are getting think funky layout. I tried to fix it several times and was unsuccessful.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty interesting. I'm surprised we don't see more of these with the amount of bling that are on cards these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too... panini puts a lot of effort into quality control I think. I've only got three errors from them, all issued in 2012.

      Delete
  2. i remember having a few Fleer Metal cards where the metal didn't line up with the image. I kinda miss the Fleer Metal products of the mid 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Metal was one of my favorite brands. The 1996-97 NBA set is very high in sentimental value to me. I wish it had more than a 5 year run.

      Delete