Saturday, April 21, 2018

Error Gallery : Caught in Packaging

Most people consider this damage. I do not. While it's not an error in card production- it's an error made by the card company, as they package the cards. It's something you can pull from packs, and I have...many times over. I've also traded for them when I have been able to.

It's the second most common error in the hobby. It's also one of the hardest to get to show up in a scan, and I have a bunch more I'm not bothering to show, because you can't see anything in the scan at all.

1994-95 Hoops #436

1995-96 Skybox #32

2012-13 Panini Marquee #3
This LeBron is actually my newest example of this error, I pulled it from a box.
2007 Press Pass VIP #46


This one was so badly mangled that the card isn't even square anymore.
1993-94 Hoops 5th Anniversary #317
 Interestingly, this one got it right under the bottom foil stripe to the bottom of the card.
1993-94 Skybox #214

1994-95 Upper Deck #222
 Caught so tightly that the top right of the card is actually ripped at the crimp.
1995-96 Upper Deck #164
 When it comes on foil it's actually easier to see.
1996-97 Skybox #200
This one is hard to see in the scan, but you can see it a little bit on his leg. I mostly included this scan so I could thank Chris of The Collector for sending it to me.
This was another that was a little painful to pull. It remains my only card from this insert out of my all-time favorite set to this day, now 22 years after I pulled it.

I have a lot more that I have not even scanned yet...but I could say that about every error. When I do, it will give me more to post.

One more to finish this project...which I have scheduled for noon tomorrow. When this post goes live I will be at the world's largest model car show, the NNL East, in Wayne, NJ.

6 comments:

  1. I love embossed cards like these. Something about their tactile edges really makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not the only one that enjoys them!

      Delete
  2. Lol. I'm one of those guys who consider it to be damaged. In fact... I pulled a Stan Musial "caught in packaging" autograph back in the late 90's... and it eventually became a cornerstone for my Damaged Card PC:

    http://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2010/05/stan-musial-facts-of-life.html

    But I completely understand where you're coming from and why you consider it to be an "error". You say poe-tay-toe. I say poe-tah-toe. Actually... I really pronounce it poe-tay-toe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen an auto with that before. Cool! I do have a game used but I forgot to post it.

      Delete
  3. I don’t ever recall seeing a card like that, but I must have run across them. Now I’ll have to keep a lookout!

    ReplyDelete