Saturday, April 7, 2018

Overkill

Yesterday I got my first Panini Instant card of the 2017-18 season. I ordered exactly one card...which is visible in the photo. It's atop the envelope they sent it in...overkill much?


I ordered some Instant cards last season and they came in normal, small envelopes for a single card purchase. Maybe this is how they always do it now? I don't know. At $10 a pop these Instant cards are generally too expensive for me, but last year I missed a few players I need for my All-Time NBA Encyclopedia, so when a player gets their first ever card via Instant, I spring for it. (If I am lucky enough to see it in the short time they sell it in).  I may have missed a couple this season too, I hope not but I have not been checking the offerings regularly. A combination of forgetting and not having enough money to shell out $20 a night every night of the season, as they tend to do two cards per day.

Not only is this Quinn Cook's first NBA card, it also shows the one-year only "The Bay" alternates for the Golden State Warriors so it was a must buy.

Although Panini lists him as a rookie, he's not. He was a rookie during the 2016-17 season, they just didn't bother to give him a card...one of many people they ignore. He played 9 games for the Pelicans and 5 for the Mavs. He's been thrust into the starting Point Guard slot for the Warriors with Steph Curry out with a bum ankle.

I'm not going to worry about getting it scanned right now because you'll see it in my monthly recap of Card of the Day and when I do the Warriors in my Uniform History series, which I do plan to continue sometime before the 2018-19 season starts. I realized typing this that I have not posted my March card of the Day post yet, so look for that this coming week. Maybe even tomorrow, I have not begun typing it yet.

9 comments:

  1. Overkill is fine, since I did once get a box from Panini like this:

    http://buckstorecards.blogspot.ca/2017/10/a-concertina.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, yeah that'd be an unhappy day for me. I can't believe the card was fine!

      Delete
  2. That is a big enveloped for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Panini really overpacked that card, but it's better than the concertina Doug got from them!

    I think some of these card companies need to hire you for their checklist so they're keeping up with players who aren't 'starting five' ..is there an NBA equivalent of Topps Total anymore? How many players are missing from any given Hoops set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would do it for free. I've been complaining about it for years. There are 525 players in the NBA...the largest panini set is 290 cards. Even the set panini laughably called complete only had 330 and 400 people in it's two seasons.

      Delete
  4. Lol. That envelope is ridiculous. At least it wasn't a PWE though. As for the GSW jerseys... I'm not a huge fan of the Chinese Heritage ones. I do love those classic white ones... that remind me of the jerseys RUN TMC used to wear. Those are pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upper deck used to send redemptions in a brown equivalent of a pwe. Got one that was badly mangled, and it was serial numberd to boot. The. White alternates remind me of the early 80s and late 70s jerseys.

      Delete
  5. Definitely overkill. The card being in good shape is a small miracle. I need to pay more attention to the instant card genre. I keep seeing some pretty cool cards but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

    ReplyDelete