Saturday, April 14, 2018

Error Gallery : Missing or Mis-applied UV Coating

UV coating can be the bane of card collectors. If you aren't lucky, it can cause some cards to stick together. It can also look nasty if applied wrong, and I'm not talking about the kind of wrong you'll see here. I'm talking about with divots and bubbles in it, both of which I've seen.

Sometimes they don't apply it at all, when they are supposed to. Sometimes they only get it on half the card, or the wrong half. When it's missing totally it's hard to see in scans.

Most of them I have, you can't see it at all in a scan. Generally, it's missing from a card where it should be there. You basically have to know the set to be able to find it, because if you don't, you might not know that it should be there but isn't.

This Toni Kukoc card, from 2000-01 Fleer Tradition Glossy, is the only one that actually shows it in a scan- out of more than 20 times I've tried to scan this error!

You can see on the UK of Kukoc and the bottom left corner that some of the gloss that was supposed to be applied to the front of the card only made it's way onto the back. The backs in this set are old-school textured cardboard...about the same feel as a cardboard box, in fact. Except for this one.

5 comments:

  1. Don’t think I have any of these. As usual pretty thorough research on your part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easy to miss...I've found a few that I missed the first time through a pack or lot.

      Delete
  2. My brother purchased some late 1990s sets and they were all stuck together...it looks like the coating had melted and then restuck together. They were solid as a brick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a little bit of that with my duplicates in my storage unit. Not fun!

      Delete
    2. I've opened packs of 1991 and 1992 Stadium club where the cards are impossible to pull apart without damaging them. People who have unopened boxes of this stuff need to be very careful about how they store them.

      Delete