Friday, March 23, 2018

Error Gallery: Two cards combined into one

 These are some of the more dramatic errors. Created when the sheets are not sent through the printing press in the proper order, you get the front of one card combined with the back of another- or the card goes through the foil machine incorrectly and gets stamped with another card's foil.
 When I originally got this one, out of a repack, I was sure it was two cards stuck together. Upon further examination, it was not- the front of the card was Loy Vaught, the back was Mark Price! This is from 1993-94 Topps.
 From 1996-97 Upper Deck, you have the front of Derrick Coleman,  but the back- and foil- of Elden Campbell. This one is interesting because you have the Lakers logo on the front, which was a dead giveaway that this one was an error. When turning it over, I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a mismatched card, rather than simply a foil error!
This one kind of hurt...these Hot Shots cards were pretty rare in 1996-97 Fleer Showcase. They were for sure a box hit, perhaps a case hit. This is from the time when creative diecutting was at it's peak...and you have multiple textures on the card as well. Premium stuff then and now. When I pulled Clyde, I was happy...but then I saw that it carried Joe Smith's name and foil. Most of the errors in my collection are duplicates, but this one is not. However, it was one of the first errors I was conscious of pulling from a pack of NBA cards myself, so there's that.

Interestingly, I have not seen any errors of this type ever from Press Pass in NASCAR.

I hope I'm not making an "error" by publishing this at 7:30 on a Friday night...

12 comments:

  1. That's a real shame about the Drexler die cut. Still a cool card, and a more unique one, but I'd be less than thrilled to pull a card with misprinted foil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was a duplicate I would have been over the moon thrilled...not so much when it's my only card from the insert. Even today they are hard to locate and run about $20 at least.

      Delete
  2. Wrong backs are a time honored tradition... and I love them. I picked up two for my '62T baseball set. Just as 'examples'.

    But I've never seen (or was aware of) those wrong foil deals. I think it makes the Drexler even cooler. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a couple from 2009-10 Upper Deck as well, that I was sure I scanned, but can't locate the scans right now.

      Delete
  3. I love wrong backs. I'm not even sure I own any... but they're cool. That Joe Smith/Clyde Drexler is sweet too! I bet there's a Drexler fan out there who'd pay you a decent dime for that card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately for them I'll have it forever, hah! It's been in my collection for 21 years now.

      Delete
    2. Hi Billy I have a Shaq with Jordan's name. Have you ever heard of another?

      Delete
  4. Every card in this post is great, but that Clyde/Joe is on a whole nother level. 😍

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a 1999-00 Fleer misprint like this what’s the value on them if u can get them graded? I know Beckett won’t grade misprints I haven’t tried contacting PSA yet but I was curious on the market values?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not very high. There's only about 3 or 4 of us who actually chase them. I don't do grading so can't help you there. Sorry for the late reply, just saw it today.

      Delete
  6. I have a 1997 Flair Jeter Row 0 rare error card with a back of Row 2 Ellis Burks on the back of the Jeter card; however what makes this card truly special is there is a silhouette of Ellis Burks upside down on the front of the Jeter card. I purchased the nonerror cards of each to prove out the errors to the specific card I have photos I could send you of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 95 Derrick Coleman upper deck premium collection card #pc14 shows Shawn Kemp in the hologram

    ReplyDelete