Tuesday, July 24, 2018

cards as i now see them...in my hand

recently, jim, the legendary gcrl, from cards as i see them reached out to me for my address and a short time later a package arrived that can be described only as eclectic. let's take a look at some of the contents...
a big highlight were these 10 cards from 2018 donruss, the only real nascar set from each season, but i didn't get a whole lot of it this year. this is essentially only my 4th pack, i think. the terry labonte is an insert, too. they are not in number order, just in the order i scanned them in. the christopher bell card is only my second or third of him, he's going to go far in the sport.

getting the non-sports cards that topps puts in baseball sets is always a challenge for me, i never think to look for them on comc because i just go straight to the sports i actively collect, and by time i remember i'm out of money. this card is much appreciated and will appear ahead in my card of the day wrapup for july.

is the hot dog actually visible here, or just the slop they piled on it? we ended up with 16 hot dogs left over from our family reunion, all three members of my immediate family will get multiple meals out of that!
 there was some baseball...
 some football...
 some hockey...
 some basketball...
 and even some college football in the mix!

i have recently really embraced the multi-sport sets. for most of my life i considered them a waste. not part of my actual collection because they weren't specifically nba sets, which is all i cared about for the most part. now, though, i have come around on them and really enjoy them. they shined in this package, but i am not going to show most of them because i need them for another post which you will see in the first week of august (i hope) but here are a couple i can show now...

a whole bunch of minis from 2014 golden age. i just picked up the standard size ausbie back in january of this year, have not even scanned it yet. the minis were a mixture of mono blue and green backs. the dom dimaggio card is the first time any dimaggios appear in my collection.



9 out of the 10 1990 collegiate collection michigan state promos made an appearance. not coincidentally the 10th card that wasn't here is a certain mr. garvey.
 i had not even heard of the leaf best of sports brand before. it's a pretty nice set, actually, and i really hate that leaf is being shut out of the market by the exclusive licenses. they do pretty good work actually.

i think my favorite card in the mailer may be this one...
although i have not really talked about it much on cardboard history, (there aren't many cards that fit the bill) architecture and old buildings is a major interest of mine. and winter is my favorite season. if you look closely this photo was taken during a snowstorm, there is snow falling. it's hard to see but look at the door and the two barrels, there are a few snowflakes visible there. and the snow is still on the trees too, which does not last long after a storm.  this card is for the farmers museum in cooperstown, someplace i very well may go at some point in the next couple of years.

another card from the same insert joined this one:
 a very pretty lake. this actually reminds me a lot of lake george, my favorite place in the entire world, but this is lake otsego. it's about 3 hours west and a little south of lake george. lg's got higher hills and mountains though. i love the fact that i live in this part of the country, the lush greenery is everything i could ask for.

this was a really fantastic mailer, jim, i thank you. and there will be some more cards in a future post like i mentioned...in fact at least two future posts counting the card of the day. i don't have anything that fits your collections to send as a thank you but i will see what i can come up with.

jim's trademark is that he never, ever uses capital letters in his posts. i tried to do that here too but it's second nature to me to hit that shift key, in a few instances i found myself backspacing, and one or two may have slipped in. it's harder than it may seem to do that! 

11 comments:

  1. If you want any of the basic Michigan States, let me know, I've got a pile of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are pretty low priority for me at this point to be honest. I won't turn them down if they are free but I'm not too inclined to pay for them, lol.

      Delete
  2. Jim is a good dude to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys! I enjoy trading and adding cards to your collections.

      Delete
  3. Okoye & MLK = a solid package

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that is a solid package. typing without caps is harder than it looks. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time I visited Texas, we went to a Rangers game. My (now) fiancé and I got the boomstick. We did not finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some great cards. Love surprises like that. That's also my first look at the NASCAR cards from this year and they look good. I'll grab a pack but probably won't get a hobby box like I did last year. I really like the Emmitt card and broomstick hot dog cards. I love hot dogs and anything in the hot dog family and that one looks great. You really don't get the ballgame experience until you've had an $8 dog right? Great post.

    ReplyDelete