Sunday, July 15, 2018

How to Tell a Refractor from a basic Chrome/Finest card

I see this question asked all the time, which, being honest, I don't understand because there is NO way to mistake a Refractor from a base card...unless you've never seen either kind before. I decided to take some pictures and a short video to hopefully help anyone who is having trouble telling the difference. Panini's Prizms and Upper Deck's Rainbows use the same technology.
In the second image and the video, the Refractor is on top, while the standard Chrome card is on the bottom. Note how the light refracts from the Refractor, and just reflects from the Chrome card.


VIDEO on YouTube (in case the embed feature doesn't work)

 the arrows on the right side point to the refraction



When scanned, the Refractor appears to be glowing from within- these are my scans of the exact same cards shown in the images:



And the Refractor:

As you can see, there is a world of difference, and it's impossible to mistake them. Hopefully this will help anyone who is struggling to identify my all-time favorite Parallel concept in cardboard history.

10 comments:

  1. I've seen a blogger or two whose scans of refractors show the rainbow on the card really well. Not sure if it's a certain scanner type or setting that does that. Mine turn out a soft blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the scanner. My first one did better but is too old for my computer to recognize. One of my scanners puts pink lines across them! Also, the location placed on the scanner matters. Scan the same card in different locations and you'll get different results.

      Delete
  2. This would be very helpful to new collectors, or those who maybe don't have much experience with Finest/Chrome cards. I had some trouble distinguishing refractors around 1994-95, until I saw a few more of them. Now they all say 'refractor' on the back as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have since 1996. I'm not sure about current releases from Topps but they generally did from 1995-96 Finest series 2 until they lost the NBA license.

      Delete
  3. The only time I've ever had an issue with this is in dimly lit areas. Otherwise... refractors have always stood out in the most excellent way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea for a collecting basics series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about it. I see a lot of people misuse definitions, especially for inserts and parallels.

      Delete
  5. I haven’t seen many so I couldn’t have explained it to anyone. Thanks for the rundown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok so i have a psa 10 pop 1 mike trout Miguel Cabrera dual auto 01/10. It is a 2013 Topps Finest which should say refractor on the back and psa should've put refractor on the label which it is not on the card nor the label. But that being said, it is defiantly a refractor which i have on ebay currently so feel free to check it out, but it defiantly has the rainbow not just shiny. I also noticed the diecut refractors from the same set does not say refractor on them either, is this normal, what gives. Here is the link go check it out, lmk what you think and why certain inserts in this years finest set is missing the word refractor on the card. See last pic for the angled pic showing the rainbow, Thank You.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-TOPPS-FINEST-MIKE-TROUT-CABRERA-MVP-TRIPLE-CROWN-AUTO-01-10-PSA-10-POP-1-/325009258734?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

    ReplyDelete