As I was typing, it got me to thinking about things I want to do in the hobby, a "Bucketlist", if you will. My list isn't long, but it's not going to be easy to do any of these...which is why I haven't done them already, of course.
- Attend the National. It should be the easiest, but it won't be. I went into more detail in "Burnout".
- Convince the card companies to give EVERYONE active in the league at least one card a year. I would have to do some extensive research to figure out when the last time it happened for the NBA was, but I'm going to say it may have been 1991-92. I have zero idea for hockey, because I'm still learning. I don't mean to say that every set should be everybody- stars are stars for a reason- but everybody who gets into the NBA or NHL should get at least one card to commemorate that fact.
- Get cards made for the other sports. There are 6 that get their seasons documented...there are dozens that might occasionally get one or two cards in SI for Kids or Goodwin Champions. That's not good enough...which leads me to number
- Start my own card company. I realize that if I want it done right...I'm going to have to do it myself. I don't have the knowledge, capital or resources to make it happen, though.
- Make my own custom cards. I know Panini really, really does not care about #2. Proof of this: They called a 330 card set in a 525 man league Complete-so again, I need to do it myself. I've started to work on this, but I have no idea how to size things or get them printed...the main and only real goal would be to make a card for the people who don't have a single one ever made. While I mostly am going on about the NBA here, there is actually much more need in NASCAR, which has almost nothing for the first 40 years of the sports' history documented on cardboard.
- This is another I've discussed in the past. I still want to create a Museum and Hall of Fame for trading cards. This hobby has existed for about 140 years, it's more than time to recognize it's history.
So what's on YOUR Cardboard Bucketlist?