Saturday, September 22, 2018

Some more highlights from the collection I bought

Just some random cards I want to say something about that I found in the collection.
 This card, 1997-98 Topps Chrome #102, became the 91,000th different NBA card in my collection.
 I got a bunch of new cards for the 2000 Topps USA set, which I ranked as my all-time least favorite set. At least the Women's Team got actual in-uniform photos, unlike the Men's Team, which was all poorly done photoshop.
 2000-01 Bowman's Best is a really under rated set. And it looks fantastic in hand.
 2000-01 Fleer Mystique Gold #77. Funny thing about this set- the Gold set, which is not common, I think one per box, but I am not sure- I have gotten three copies of the Chris Porter card, this is my first card of the set that is not another example of that one card. What are the odds?
After seeing this, now I want to hunt down an actual autograph of Cedric Ceballos, Even if his actual signature looks like it reads "Glo Cilill"!
 I saw a big lot of 1991-92 Fleer and thought they were just going to be duplicates, but since I check every card just to be sure, I was able to find that two of them were the Tony's Pizza food issues, both of which I needed! (not shown: Vlade Divac)
 Another insert from 1996-97 Metal.
 These Flair Showcase cards are spectacular in hand.
 I never even noticed the Soaring Stars insert had a parallel until I got this one...which is bad as not only are they listed on the Database, more than half the set has scans. Not sure this was the best photo to use given the position of his left hand!
 1997-98 Topps was the first set I ever made a wantlist for, on Looseleaf. I didn't include these Minted in Springfield parallels, only base cards. I got one of the 4 base I needed in this collection, and I'm sure I'll find an excuse to post it, once I get it scanned.
 This card really shows the Refractor-ness of a Refractor. This isn't just a base refractor either, this is the Coverless refractor! (which means it's actually a thin plastic card, and both sides are Refractor technology)
I always have loved the 1999-00 HoloGrFx set. (even if it has a stupid name). This looks so much better in hand! This is the gold AUsome parallel of this insert, I also got the standard silver version, but have not scanned it yet. Or maybe I already had it. I don't remember. I've been through roughly 40,000 cards since I got this collection and I'm barely above "overwhelmed"!
 This card, from 1995-96 SP, is actually an error. The "Future NBA All-Stars" wording at the top is triple printed, but none of them line up, making it quite a challenge to read. The prediction was correct, though. He would be an All-Star in the 2000-01 season, and probably could have gotten more if not for a devastating knee injury that cost him all of the 2002-03 season and adversely affected his explosive jumping ability going forward.
1995-96 Ultra is one of those sets that really mean a lot to me- when I was first beginning to collect, and first learning about the sport, it was one of the first sets that entered my collection. While I only know the exact order of the first two sets for sure- 1995-96 Fleer and 1995-96 Hoops, Ultra would have been somewhere in the 3rd-5th slot for entering my collection. My gut feeling is 3rd. I'm still a few cards away but I knocked 6 off my wantlist with this collection, including all three of the rookies I needed! Not pictured, yet, are Brent Barry and Mario Bennett. I have not scanned them yet.

This was actually the first card I added to my collection from the Sousafly Collection. I was really excited when I opened the box and saw a case labeled 1995-96 Collector's Choice Debut Trade. I was a little less excited when I realized I wouldn't be completing my set...it was 132 copies of this same card! I later found more, and I'm now over 150 copies. I've never seen that many copies of one card before.

4 comments:

  1. I loved collecting basketball cards back in the 90's and pulling guys like Penny and the Reign Man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those 1990s basketball cards are legit. Very cool to see. Unfortunately, the reason a lot of people got out of sports card collecting in the 1990s is the proliferation of all the inserts making set collectors and completionists like me super frustrated. Cool card collection you’ve picked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a completionist at heart so I understand...I know I will never get everything but it's always fun to try.

      Delete