Monday, September 3, 2018

Card of the Day August 2018

I've been busy laying the groundwork for a new card related website I'll be launching in October (hopefully) so I am a little late in getting this written and posted. But I did keep up the project of getting at least one new card every day of the month, so here we go:

August 1st:
2006-07 Fleer Team Leaders #TL-GA
 This one came from the store collated repack I've been saving since 2014 for this project. One of the things that annoys me most is when they use letters instead of a number.

August 2nd:
2010-11 Upper Deck #283
From my pack stash.

August 3rd:
2012 Panini Black Friday Kings #10
A gift from Robert of $30 a Week Habit. Actually a multi-sport set, and mirror foil, which scanned black.

August 4th:
1995-96 Emotion #60
From a store collated repack I've held since September 2017.

August 5th:
1996-97 Collector's Choice You Crash the Game 2 #C23 (March 3-9 version)
From Trading Card Database member Bevans, which I've held since December.

August 6th:
2015-16 Gold Standard #68
From the COMC box I've been pulling from, that arrived in December 2017.

August 7th:
2018 Victory Lane #56
From a blaster my mom surprised me with. The card is etched foil and doesn't scan all that well. This was my best month for scanning NASCAR cards in quite a long time- I had one from all but 2 years of NASCAR card history to upload. A rarity. I missed 1988 and 1990, and if I had been paying more attention, I could have gotten a 1990 in because I have the factory set at arm's reach I could have pulled from.

August 8th:
2018 A Tiny Teddy named Cuds #CNS-2
The monthly comic order came that day, and surprisingly, Non-Sport Update was included. I have not gotten any in over a year, I didn't think they carried it anymore. This was one of the promo cards that was included.

August 9th:
2018-19 MVP #41
My pre-ordered box of MVP arrived that day, and this was the first card for the season.

August 10th:
2016-17 O-Pee-Chee Platinum Royal Blue Cubes #53
From the same COMC box as Afflalo. The only time this month one of my three favorites appears.

August 11th:
1993 Cosmic Teams #113
Terrible artwork. Kelley Jones has no idea what this character should look like. The second card out of the pack, which I procured at the Albany Comic Con in June, was my 15,000th documented Non-Sports card in my collection.

August 12th:
1950 Topps License Plates #55
I was planning to not spend any money on cards this month. That was a goal I had for myself, although never actually stated to anyone, I ended up hitting my local vintage dealer and ended up spending $16. I did get 4 days out of the cards I got that day, but I'm sort of annoyed at myself that I forgot my pledge and went and spent money anyway. At least I have some nice vintage cards to show for it.

August 13th:
1974 Visual Panographics US Presidents #1
Also from my vintage dealer. I got a huge block of this set, and almost completed it. I didn't look through before I bought it so I have a bunch of duplicates and am missing some cards. I have some available for trade, if anyone is interested, but they pretty much all have some flaws. (note the rubs in the borders here)

August 14th:
1994 Star Hooters #41
A gift from CollectingAfterDeath on the Database

August 15th:
2010-11 Rookies & Stars Longevity #128
From the COMC box that has appeared twice this month already. My first and currently only card of him.

August 16th:
2017-18 Essentials Essential Legends #EL-17
From the pack stash. Card is actually all holofoil but didn't scan well.

August 17th:
1993 Portfolio Endless Summer Cover Card #4
From a box I bought cheap from Dave & Adams a few months ago. You get what you pay for...the UV coating has stuck and damaged almost every single card. The Cover Cards were not UV coated and are fine.

August 18th:
2013-14 Score #218
The prize package from Chris/The Collector arrived on the 17th, but I opened all but one of the team bags on the 18th, getting me 710 new cards on that day, now my 12th best day all time.

August 19th:
2005-06 Bee Hive #89
From the store-collated repack I got in 2017, that I pulled from earlier in the month. It turned out to be my first card from the set, as well.

August 20th:
1995-96 Jam Session Promo
I picked up a sealed promo pack from this set at the Albany Comic Con in June, and then misplaced it. I found it again and opened it that day (for some reason it got put into the toploader/penny sleeve box)

August 21st:
2000 X-Men Trading Card Game #92
I got this in trade with Shawn Norris/icpactman on the Database. This was actually a side bit to our actual trade, which was a hockey DVD and basketball DVD. Until very recently I would not have actually considered this part of my collection.

August 22nd:
2017-18 Panini Threads #37
Since I already blew my goal of not spending money on cards, when I found that my local dollar store brought some of these in, I bought two packs, and opened up one on this day and one on

August 23rd:
2017-18 Panini Threads #93
Giles missed all of 17-18 with injury. He will be eligible to win Rookie of the Year in 18-19. I had actually heard talk about him being very good back several years. He was probably in Junior High when I first heard that he was one to watch. Injuries took their toll and he fell to 20th in the draft. Early predictions were 1st.

August 24th:
2004 Pacific Garfield Collection The Movie #8
I found a pack of this set locally and this insert was the first out. Also my first card of the set. Surprisingly, I've never actually seen the movie. This is the third day I got from my $16 spent as noted earlier.

August 25th:
2006-07 SPx #201
I realized that I was only missing 2006-07 to have scanned a card this month from every year in the NHL from 1987-88 through 2018-19, so my mom dug through my COMC box until finding this one. The funny thing is, since I had it shipped in December 2017, I no longer remembered what was in there. There was no guarantee there were any 06-07s! This turned out to be my first card of him, to boot.

August 26th:
1997 Star Wars Trilogy Widevision Retail #15
The final day I got out of those $16. I don't really do Star Wars anymore, but a pack for a set I'd never opened any of before, for $1....I had to do it.

August 27th:
2017-18 Panini Stickers #25
My mom surprised me with a random pack.

August 28th:
2018 Sports Illustrated for Kids 5 #755
From my subscription to the magazine. Happy it's actually a card from one of my sports for once!

August 29th:
1955 Topps Rails & Sails #16
 From my three-way trade with Cnagle and Vrooomed on the Trading Card Database

August 30th:
2003-04 Supreme #33
From the same store repack that gave me the Bee Hive Bertuzzi and Emotion Yzerman. Like the Bee Hive, this is my first card from this set.

August 31st:
1991-92 Pro Set #513
From a big box CrazieJoe sent me sometime in 2017, which I realized I hadn't pulled from yet this year so had to correct that.

And that's August. For you baseball fans, stay tuned for September. Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome. Keep this series up through the rest of the year. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've come too far and put too much effort in to bail now!

      Delete
  2. Nice eclectic post quite the array of cardboard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to make it as varied as possible. It's more interesting that way, I think.

      Delete
  3. Non-Sport Update promos rule. So do Hooters trading cards. As well as mid 90's Skybox Emotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the Hooters cards will appear again as I still have most of the box left to open. I hope that the others do as well!

      Delete