Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Card of the Day: October 2018

October was a month with both highs and lows. Two big highs- I got to go to the Fordham Museum of Greek, Etruscan and Roman Art, and I won my first ever 1st place at my local scale model show- although I was the only entrant in class.
The bad news is that my computer died, and I had to get a new one...which means I can't partake in this year's Black Friday sales on COMC or Dave & Adam's. I also made a mistake with my Card of the Day project but I didn't miss a day...read on.

October 1st:
2017-18 Panini Threads #28
My local dollar store has been stocking these, and I've been hitting them. This set appears four times in this month of the project!

October 2nd:
2003-04 Bowman Signature #94
Another from the box I got from COMC in December 2017. I think I might actually be able to complete this set someday, although I still have LeBron ahead of me, thankfully for me he was with UD so no auto or jersey, but still, a LeBron rookie.

October 3rd:
2017-18 Upper Deck #329
That was the first day of the NHL regular season, and to celebrate I opened everything left of the hobby box that I bought back in June. I later found a blaster of Series 2 that I had also bought in June and forgot about, which I'm still working through.

October 4th:

No scan!

Here is the mistake I made. October 4th's card of the day is 1996-97 Fleer #171, Chris Gatling, which I pulled from the Sousafly collection. But I didn't scan it right away. I was more concerned with my then-secret project and wasn't doing a whole lot of scanning. Then, when my computer died and I went through the frustrating 2 week saga of trying to get it repaired, I went through some card boxes of stuff waiting to be scanned. A lot of boxes...at least a dozen. I had forgotten that this was Card of the Day and I put it into one of those boxes...but I don't know which one. I looked through the ones I have on hand, but it must be in another. You can see it HERE on the Trading Card Database if you are so inclined.

October 5th:
2003-04 Topps Chrome #5
Another set from 2003-04 that I think I can complete someday. Luckily, I pulled the LeBron when new because I could not afford to buy one now. It's considered his best Topps rookie card.

October 6th:
2013 Total Memorabilia #43
That was an unusual day, in that my brother and I went to TWO Wal-Marts! I usually hit Wal-Mart on average twice in an entire year, and the Newburgh Wal-Mart, where this one came from, I had not been in since the mid-2000s. They had a NASCAR repack, which was unusual, but most of the packs were from sets I had already completed. Later that night we went to the Fishkill Wal-Mart, which is my local store, and I bought a pack of cards that I would open the next day, giving me the COTD for

October 7th:
2017-18 Prestige #83
I became a fan of Sean Kilpatrick when he was on the Nets. He was the second best player on the team. but, typical Nets, they cut him to save money, despite the fact that he had the highest scoring game as a Net in a while last year (38 points). He ended up with the Bucks last year but they eventually cut him as well. I'm surprised Panini bothered to give him a card considering they didn't give him a single one for the first 3 years of his career. Later in the pack was the Justin Holiday card I already posted about.

October 8th:
2017-18 Panini Threads #1
Hitting this set again, here is card #1.

October 9th:
1992 Traks Prototype
This card, and two other Prototypes from the same set, came to be as a gift from a Trading Card Database member in England!

October 10th:
2018 Donruss #50
When I was in Lake George for my cousin's wedding in June, I bought a blaster of Donruss...and it looks like that's all I'm going to get from the set this year. I'm still slowly working through it- I think I'm down to one or two packs left. I was hoping to get a Dale Earnhardt Jr. card on his birthday, like I got an Elton Brand card for his birthday back in March, and I did- but unfortunately it was not the Card of the Day.

October 11th:
2017-18 Prestige #28
Gallinari missed about half of the 2017-18 season with a sprained butt. Seriously. First, I didn't know that was possible, and secondly, how do you do that? On second thought, I don't think I want to know.

October 12th:
2017-18 O-Pee-Chee #604
This is the day I found the blaster I had forgotten about, apparently, as it's the first time it appears in the month. Actually, it's the only time it appears in the month, but I did pull from it on other days.

October 13th:
1994-95 Select #186
I no longer remember where I got this one. It may have come from Shoebox Legends, Bevans on the Trading Card Database, or the store collated repack I've been pulling from since September 2017.

October 14th:
1997-98 Score New York Rangers #1
My mom went shopping for my birthday on the 14th, and the local dealer, finding out what she was doing, gave me this entire team set as a birthday present! I didn't have a single one previously!

October 15th:
2016-17 Upper Deck UD Canvas #C138
From my pack stash. Is that the best photo they could have chosen?

October 16th:
2013-14 Totally Certified #94
This card is mirror foil and scans terribly. It's from the store collated repack I've been saving since 2014 for this project. It's almost empty...I plan to save it and finish the box out on December 31st.

October 17th:
2017-18 Upper Deck #205
A rare purchase off the Database. (I would MUCH rather trade). Ho-Sang is being really terribly handled by the Islanders. I hope he gets a chance to move to another team, because I think he's got what it takes to make it in the NHL...if only he would get the chance.

October 18th:
2017-18 Panini Threads #29
My 34th birthday! I am totally OK with the fact that the majority of my present this year came from the dollar store.

October 19th:
1993 Craftsman Motorsports #8
Funny story about this one...Way back in January, my friend Chuck, aka C2Cigars on the Database, had sent me an envelope with some foreign stamps on them (stamps are another hobby of mine). Well, I took it totally at face value...meaning, I just put it with my stamp collection, totally happy with that. In October, he sent me a message and asked if everything was OK because he didn't see this card as marked in my collection. I didn't even look in the envelope! Luckily, I knew right where it was and pulled out the card! Although this is clearly a NASCAR card, this is actually an insert from a Non-Sports set.

October 20th:
2017-18 Upper Deck #113
I got this in trade with Database member DCDeacon. With that trade, I now have every veteran player card from 17-18 series 1! I still need a ton of Young Guns though.

October 21st:
1964-65 Topps #49
October 21st was the best day of the year. It's the day we visited the museum! On the way home, we stopped at the local dealer who had given me the birthday present a week previously so I could thank him. While I was there, I decided to get some vintage hockey cards, my first cards from this set, as well as 1959-60 and 1962-63.

October 22nd:
2017-18 Panini Threads #32
The last day of normalcy. I spend most of the day working on my pictures from the Museum, and luckily, I backed them up.

October 23rd:
1993 DC Comics Bloodlines #79
This is the day my computer fan died, which would kick off a two-week mess of trying to get it fixed and lots and lots of frustration that would see me eventually just give up and buy a new one on November 7th. The 23rd is also the anniversary of the day my brother read me my first comic book, kicking off the first hobby for me. I've been in the comic hobby every day since then...I had purchased this pack at the Albany Comic Con on June 3rd and held it specifically for this date. I have no other DC cards in my stash to pull from.

October 24th:
1986-69 Jack in the Box San Diego Rockets
I should have been really excited to get this, because it's my first card from this season, but I was too depressed with what was going on with my computer. I pulled from the COMC box that day and the next.

October 25th:
2004-05 Topps Black #208
Cheap SN. My kryptonite.

October 26th:
2018 Sports Illustrated for Kids 5 #773
I actually got two issues of SI for Kids in October, which is odd. I had already done the Card of the Day for the first one. This issue was better as there were only two college cards.

October 27th:
2004 Wheels American Thunder #26
I got this in trade with Database member 18germainB. It's the only set of 2004 I never did a box of, so I still have a lengthy wantlist. His name is barely visible, as it's black on foil. It's Rusty Wallace for anyone who doesn't know and cares. October 27th was the day of my model club show, which is where I won my first career first place award.

October 28th:
2005-06 SP Authentic #103
From the COMC box. This has a lot going for it- my favorite team, one of my favorite players, and it's SN! It's actually my first numbered Jagr card, I believe.

October 29th:
2010-11 Totally Certified #94
Hitting the COMC box again. Without my computer I wanted to be sure what I was adding was new so the COMC box played a big role in that- everything in there is guaranteed to be new.

October 30th:
2001-02 Vanguard #5
I finished my paper hockey listing that day, so I figured, what better way to celebrate then putting it through it's paces? I opened up several of the team bags from the large box sent to me by Shane of Shoebox Legends in September, and I ended up adding about 250 cards to my collection that day.

October 31st:
2016-17 Hoops Swat Team #4
I was digging through some of my boxes and found a pack of this set yet unopened. I have completed the base set. I was hoping for a parallel but had to settle for an insert.

And that's the end of that month. It took me a long time to get this posted due to the computer problems and looking for the missing cards. I didn't get the cards I was able to find fully scanned and labeled until November 12th.

5 comments:

  1. I sent you an even larger flat rate box stuffed with cards today. Hopefully you'll have it by the weekend. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It will give me the Card of the Day when it arrives for sure! We are supposed to be getting our first real snow of the season on Thursday, so it will probably hit you on Friday or Saturday. Can't think of much better to do while watching snow fall then sort hockey cards.

      Delete
  2. Love the 1992 Traks Prototype. Been debating on gathering up all of my 90's promos and displaying them in a binder. Don't feel like they receive enough hobby love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im a big fan of promos myself. Hope you post about it if you do!

      Delete
  3. Great selection of cards this month!

    ReplyDelete