Friday, November 16, 2018

What I accomplished this week

on the new Cardboard History website. It's quite a lot. When I revealed my secret project last week, I had the majority of the basketball teams posted and nothing more.

Since then, I have uploaded:
  • all Hockey teams
  • Hockey peripherals (Checklists, multi-subject, specific games or series, etc)
  • Hockey team cards
  • all baseball teams
  • all football teams
  • the International basketball teams, which I did not have ready to go when I did the rest of the basketball. 
  • come up with a better name than "new Cardboard History website". From this moment on, it shall be called the "Cardboard History Gallery" whenever I refer to it. The link shall not change.
That's already a lot of images posted. 

One thing I did was research when each team was in operation, and put that info into the caption for each team. For the NBA, I pretty much knew it already. For the other sports, even some non-NBA basketball, and especially football and baseball, it required me to do actual research and all of it was new to me. I also tracked the team's name changes, and make note of a what a team was before and after using that name in the caption for the album. A lot of fun for me. 

Now I have a little dilemma. I have no more team stuff ready to go. I have hockey, baseball and football by player ready to go, and basketball letters A through R done and ready. Should I start uploading them, or hold off for now? I need to decide, because I've used up 54% of my storage capacity and I still have not even touched the second largest part of my collection- racing. I know that eventually I'm going to have to pay for more storage capacity, but, since I had to buy a computer this month, combined with the not-insignificant cost of the new car in the driveway and my medical expenses, I don't know when that will be. I also have a couple other things I want to do with the site that I have not even mentioned yet, so an upgrade is a definite...I just don't know when. 

My two options are, work on uploading what I have ready to go until I get close to running out of space (leaving enough room for updating the teams on the 1st of each month, or beginning to anyway) 

or

Work on finishing prepping the letters. I still have most of S-Z for basketball, and I have not even started racing, non-sports or other sports yet. I won't be doing teams for the latter three topics, at least not yet (I will do NASCAR eventually) This is a very time consuming project. Each large letter in basketball is taking me on average 3 days to do, S is huge and will probably take me more, as will W. I'm not sure what the average for NASCAR will be yet. Other sports and non-sports are fairly small and I should be able to knock each out in a day or two.

I also have a third option but that's not too likely- not do either and just work on scanning more. 

I can't do all three at the same time. Sorting letters takes my full attention. I can't do anything else but that when I do it. I CAN scan and upload at the same time. 

I'm open to input. In all reality I'll probably do a little of each option. 

8 comments:

  1. I think a little of each would be good; would also prevent mental fatigue from setting in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma, don't forget to sign back into your account. Still logged in as me from when I borrowed it while mine was down.

      Delete
  2. Just as an FYI, there is no "p" in "Binghamton Mets". Who are now are the Binghamton Rumble Ponies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That explains why I kept getting the typo red line under it! I'll fix it shortly.

      Delete
  3. That is a stunning amount of work, but it looks fantastic.

    I would suggest you do all the prep work before uploading, just in case you cant complete it with the amount of space you're allowed. Hopefully everything fits and you can organize it all to your satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know it won't for. NBA alone takes up 51% of my storage capacity, and I want to post it two more times! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Part of me is so jealous you have so many cards scanned and uploaded. On the other hand... I would never even consider paying for more storage capacity. I'm annoyed that I have to spend 99¢ each month over at Apple for iCloud space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take the "you get what you pay for" approach. I've had my main website on that server since 2004 and have over 400,000 images on it so I know it's good.

      Delete