Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Finding cards at the scale modeling show, again

I've been attending scale model shows since 2001. I had never really found cards at them, with one exception, around 2011. In 2019, I've attended two model shows, and found cards at both of them! (I talked about the first one here) That is a trend I would not mind seeing continue.

This past Saturday, my whole family went to MosquitoCon in Wayne, NJ, which was doubly cool- we don't usually all go, and we met a cousin there for the first time, as we found out- after we had already made plans to go- that he was also a modeler and would be in attendance! That's great stuff.

I was meandering through the vendor room- I also took home 8 models- when I stumbled across a dealer with some cards.

Tobacco cards, in complete set form! I was not able to bring them all home-I really wanted to, but some of them were too expensive for me, so I settled on two sets- 1976's Craven Black Cat Vintage Cars, and 1923's Stephen Mitchell & Son Famous Crosses.


The Vintage Cars set is 50 cards, and the Famous Crosses set is 25 cards. (The second picture I took of the latter set came out too blurry to post) The Vintage Cars set added 14 new brands of car to my collection- a project I will talk more about in some future post I have not even begun to compose yet. Most of the new brands are French cars, which I did not have well represented in my collection. As I've been known to say, the French may have invented the automobile...but the Americans perfected it, LOL.
The Famous Crosses set plays to my love of architecture.

So, that was my unexpected model show card find.
This was probably my favorite model at the show. I am in awe of sailing ships, and the models of them. It's well beyond my skill and knowledge level. (I have no clue where the rigging should go, and these ships have a lot of it!)
This was a fun one, too!

If you want to see all 454 photos I took at the show, you can see them on my main website HERE. I have two more model shows this month, I would be surprised if I find any more cards...but I can hope! I never expected to find them at these two, so you never know.

8 comments:

  1. Cool cards. I know the cars were the focus, and they're great, but I love the Famous Crosses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have the set on the Database later today...got them all scanned already, just need to label them.

      Delete
  2. Both of those card sets are sweet... but those two models are a tad bit sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot of talent on display at the show!

      Delete
  3. Non-sport Card sets are awesome including these!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I enjoy them so much. Unfortunately I don't have as much access as I do with sports cards, or I'd talk about them more.

      Delete
  4. Hah! That Roswell model is great. Nice cards, too.

    ReplyDelete