Saturday, April 20, 2019

March trade recap

I completed 7 trades in March, but I just realized that I never wrote up my trade recap! I did the scanning required for it over a week ago, and then never wrote it up. Mental lapse on my part. At least I got it written up in April!

All but one of the trades arrived to me on March 19th, which is my new record for most different packages in one day, which I previously covered in this post about the gifts I received, although I did forget one in that post- Gregory from the new blog Nine Pockets/The Trading Card Database sent me some old hockey Becketts and since they were not cards, they were not tracked in my Excel files I used in creating that post. Sorry!! The trades will be presented in order of my opening them.

The first trade was a single card deal with jddavis on the Trading Card Database. He has a bit of a bad reputation but this trade was fast- I told him I would not be able to send to him for over a week, and he got the card to me before I even sent out to him.
2017 Donruss #166
The very same day, I got a trade with new Database member sumboy11, which saw me get three cards- when I was only expecting one! He is a big Yankees fan and is trying to collect as many Yankees as possible, I know a lot of bloggers have a lot of excess Yankees cards to trade.
2017 Allen & Ginter World's Fair #WF-6

Next came another trade with PapaG321, again of the Database, and I got all car cards...
Lime Rock Dream Machines #165
The cards were all from the Lime Rock Dream Machines set, all from Series 2. I didn't have any from Series 2 before, but I had bought a copy of Series 1 thinking it was a complete set...only to find out when I entered them on the Database that it was only half the set.

He also sent along a cool vintage photograph:
It depicts a 1910s Ford Model T, although the picture itself was taken in the 1960s. I was not expecting the picture so this was a cool bonus!

The next trade...not sure that is going to work out yet. Spazmatastic, of NUTS and the Database, is a heavy smoker, and I am highly allergic to cigarette smell. He sent me some sealed packs to find out if the cigarette smell can penetrate the packs. The answer is yes, somewhat. I'm airing out the cards now hoping the smell will dissipate. IF they do, I will add several cards to my collection, including a Jeff Gordon promo that will complete a 25 card set regional promo for me.

The next trade was the first one that I ever started on Twitter. I'm not a twitter fan- I maintain an account because that's where the athletes and sports teams post, but I really dislike it and don't check it very often. I was checking it one day when I saw @RefsInTheBack put up a post asking if anyone traded for WNBA cards. I had decided recently that I wanted to have more of them in my collection, so we ended up putting together a 150 card trade each way. He went through my tradelist on the Trading Card Database, sent me pictures of his hand-written notes, and then I used the Database trade tools to compose the trade. So, it was kind of my first Twitter trade, and kind of my 100somethingth Database trade.
The cards came from four different sets: 2004 Ultra, 2005 Rittenhouse, 2006 Rittenhouse and 2008 Rittenhouse. Only the 2006 and 2008 sets were previously represented in my collection, and the vast majority of the players are new to me as well. Since I have been burned out/busy with my modeling hobby/scatterbrained, I've only looked at and officially added 7 of the 150 to my collection so far.

Rittenhouse really knows/knew how to do team cards the right way! I guess that makes up for using the exact same design two years in a row. I'm not sure if they still do them this good...or even at all.
2005 Rittenhouse #52
The final trade was my second with Karsal, out of Canada, on the Trading Card Database. He sent me 10 cards from the 1968 Brooke Bond History of the Motor Car set, which I did not have any of previously!
1968 Brooke Bond History of the Motor Car #42

The final trade of the month, the only one to not arrive on the 19th, arrived on the 22nd, from Database member cl_kyle. It contained the two missing automotive cards from the 1968 Amoco Winners Circle promo issue. When composing the trade, I totally missed that he had the Parnelli Jones card available.
These un-numbered promos could be used as game pieces to win a brand new 1968 Corvette or Camaro. Obviously I never had the opportunity to do that, because it was before I was born, but I probably would have been unlikely to part with the cards anyway. I mean, I'm the same person who didn't always send in redemption cards because I would have lost the redemption card itself.

April only has three trades so far, and I've done the scanning for two of them so hopefully I will get the trade recap post written before May 20th!

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see that Randy was able to unload those WNBA cards onto somebody :)

    ReplyDelete