Thursday, April 25, 2019

The Richter Scale

The Richter Scale is used to measure earthquakes. Mike Richter was the Championship goaltender the last time my favorite team won the Stanley Cup. Using a bit of play-on-words, here's a scale (countdown) of my top 10 favorite Mike Richter cards that I have scans for in my collection.

#10 1991-92 Upper Deck #175
I'm not a big fan of extreme closeups on cards. It doesn't really give you "the whole picture" of what's going on. Check out that plain blue helmet.

#9 1995-96 Topps Super Skills #47
Digitally altered background...text overlaying the feature that adds nothing...cheesy yet also likeable cartoon pucks taking up as much space as the photo...yeah, not going to be high on the list. Yet...when I think of Mike Richter cards in my collection, this one pops into my head for some reason. 

#8 1994 Sports Illustrated for Kids 2 #284

SI For Kids Series 2 is actually probably the greatest sports card set ever. It used multiple designs and this is not my favorite although also not my least favorite. The design- and the fact that these are slightly oversize- keeps this one lower on the list. Good photo though. I have to do a post about the set at some point.

#7 1993-94 Power Play #165
The tall-boy cards are such a pain- you can't store or sort them with your other cards. Decent photo, and Nobody Beats the Wiz is an iconic ad campaign from my youth. 

#6 1989-90 Marine Midland New York Rangers #35
A regional promo that is slightly oversized-but not so much so that it can't be stored in my boxes with my other hockey cards. My copy of the set is a little dingy, note the staining in the bottom right border, but I'm still pretty thrilled to have it. I lucked into finding most of this set locally, except the checklist/cover card, which is now my most wanted NHL card. 1989-90 was his first season in the NHL, so you have a rookie regional promo, with a great ad on the boards, this one has a lot going for it. Do they still make Chuckles? I used to be a big fan, but would not be able to eat them anymore even if I could still find them. We had an account with Marine Midland back when these cards were issued, and they also did Knicks sets, but both were issued before I discovered each sport. 

#5 2002-03 Topps #128

We go from his rookie season to his final season, which saw his career get ended prematurely due to a skull fracture suffered on the ice (!) I dislike the Topps design of this season but the card features a great action photo. 

#4 1997-98 Score New York Rangers #16
This card features the Statue of Liberty alternate that many people are hoping makes a return now that the NHL allows more than one home/road design again. 

#3 1996-97 Leaf #178
A cool angle for a photograph, even if the action doesn't really convey. Where's the puck? I think it is in his glove but the shadow is too deep to be able to be 100% certain. I got this the very first day that I began buying hockey cards, before the Rangers even became my favorite team. 

#2 1993-94 Starting Lineup #99
Good design and great photo, taken down a bit by the realization that this was probably a goal for the opponent...note that he is looking into the net, past his glove. I don't have the figure this card came with, nor do I have the Score card it's based on, yet. 

#1 1993-94 Ultra #228
It's hard for me to go against Ultra, my favorite brand in cardboard history. The great action photo- look at that puck in the air!- cements this as my favorite card of his, in my collection, so far! 

I've only scanned 12 cards of his, although a quick trip to his listing on the Trading Card Database tells me that I have 28 of him in my collection. Perhaps I will revisit this Scale at some point. Even if I did have all 28 scanned, the #1 card would not change. 

18 comments:

  1. As a lifelong Rangers fan who cried like a 12-year-old girl meeting N'SYNC when the Rangers won the Cup I gotta say I love every one of these!

    BTW...I like your #1 choice the best, too. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a big Richter fan (mainly b/c he was the Team USA goalie) during the 90's. Was pretty stoked when I pulled out of one of the Be A Player packs back in the day. I'd love to add a slabbed autographed rookie card of his to my collection one day.

    Out of your Top 10, I think my favorite is #2. Great action shot and I'm a sucker for SLU cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually try to get the figures and cards at the same time...but I have 5 or 6 NHL SLU cards and not a single figure yet!

      Delete
  3. He sure does have a lot of great cardboard! Your choice for number on was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The new idea I mentioned the other day was top 10 countdowns of my favorite cards of various people in my collection.

      Delete
  4. Somewhere in my collection is a great Upper Deck 8 1/2 x 11 promo, an overhead action shot somewhat like #3, stll hoping to get it signed someday as I really like it. As for Chuckles, saw them at the grocery checkout last week ans was amazed, I remember them from that long ago childhood. Thanks for such interesting blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a cool promo. I have not seen that yet but I still have a lot to learn. Interesting to hear they are still out there...it's been years since I've seen any. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. And here I thought that the Golden Knights were your team...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are too. When I got into the sport, the Knights were not playing yet and during that half season I became a Rangers fanatic.

      Delete
  6. The Rangers have had some of the best goaltenders and back-up goaltenders for the better part of the last 30-something years, and it's amounted to, one Cup :P.
    Hoping that Igor Shestyorkin can keep that going (maybe Olof Lindbom can keep the run of nice back-ups going too?) when Henrik's eventually retires and the team has a better idea of what they plan to do with Georgiev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's disappointing. Unfortunately even the greatest goalie need to rely on the guys in front to score. And the Rangers have some difficulty with that lately, as you know! Be curious to see how the new guys do.

      Delete
    2. I've only been a Ranger fan for two years now but from what I can gather, the Rangers appear to have struggled with putting the right defensemen in front of their all-world goaltenders. Even when they were really good (as recently as 2015 I guess?). Hoping for a lot more K'Andre Miller and a lot less Neal Pionk (I like Pionk but he isn't very good) going forward. A Jacob Trouba trade would also be appreciated.

      Delete
    3. I wonder what it would be like if Shattenkirk could ever get healthy. Going to be a while before we see K'Andre I think, since he's doing the college thing.

      Delete
  7. Cool idea for a blog post! Richter was so impressive and steady during that Stanley Cup run. I still remember where I was when he made that penalty shot save against Pavel Bure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will be doing more top 10 favorites lists in the future. I unfortunately hadn't discovered the sport yet...though I do remember the news coverage, vaguely, from when they won. I first saw that shot for the first time a year or so ago. So much missed hockey!

      Delete
  8. REally liked the post and great cards. The Leaf overhead shot is pretty cool. Overhead shots can work in hockey on cards better than in most of the other sports. I won't argue with the Fleer Ultra as the winner though. Great looking photo. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the 1989-90 Marine Midland Bank New York Rangers #NNO Mike Richter card and cannot find it's value :(

    ReplyDelete