Wednesday, December 2, 2020

A hockey scanning milestone

 I'm working on my monthly upload to the Cardboard History Gallery, which I do starting on the 1st of every month, and I hit a very cool milestone. I have hit 3000 hockey people scanned! This includes all players, coaches, referees, anyone who is a hockey person who has a card in my collection. 


Denis Gurianov of the Dallas Stars was the 3000th person entered into the album. By time I finish the monthly upload there will be 3004 people in the album. 


Basketball still leads in number of people scanned by a wide margin (3858) but hockey will overtake that total at some point, simply because more hockey players get cards, and the sport has a longer history on cardboard, if nothing else. Even the largest basketball set every year has literally half the amount of cards as the largest NHL set does, so it's only a matter of time. 

Auto Racing, which I've been collecting the longest (since 1988) has only 1522 people scanned. Although  I did remember I forgot to collect the people from the 1990 Classic Monster Truck set when I put together my people charts so that number will grow, but not by a while lot since it's only a 125 card set and not all of them are people. 

And now this has given me the idea to take note of how many people are scanned at the end of each year for each topic, and see how it grows year to year. I wonder what year hockey will overtake basketball? I'm just going to throw out a guess of 2022, but it all depends on how much scanning I do vs. how much model building I do...I spent most of October, all of September and parts of August and November working on models almost solely, only doing card stuff on the days it rained, and generally not accomplishing much card wise, scanning less than 300 cards total in the last 4 months. Luckily, there's no time limit. I have about the same number of people for both sports but most of the NBA players are already represented by scans, while there are still many NHL players I have yet to scan. 

6 comments:

  1. Whoa. You have over 1,500 people in your auto racing collection? That's insane. Impressive too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After 32 years of collecting they really add up! Of course being my favorite thing in the world doesn't hurt.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! The funny thing is I only really found out by chance. I normally just slide them into the proper folder after I upload them to the Alphabetical Directory, but since everyone left was hockey, I decided to open up the hockey album...and noticed it was at 2999 people. I have sometimes gone months without opening the actual album itself!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the milestone, Billy! Quite a fitting image on Gurianov's card, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes it is, I didn't even think about that.

      Delete