Thursday, December 10, 2020

My favorite soccer card

 I have to be honest, I don't like soccer. I tried to give it a chance, and tried to watch it in the Olympics in London. I couldn't get through even a single game. However, I now have a new favorite soccer card...sort of! It's not actually a soccer card, but a multi-sport card...which shows a soccer player. 

For the first time ever I see my name on a mainstream card! Granted, it's his first name, but still, that's pretty darn awesome. I didn't even notice when the card arrived in the mail on November 24th. I looked to see what sports were covered and I looked at the card right next to this one- a WNBA card, which is definitely more in my interests- but didn't look to see what his name was until December 1st, when got ready to scan the cards. 

I actually did a search for my name on COMC a few months ago and picked up some cards from sports I don't collect of people who share my name. I may have gotten one of him, I can't remember and would rather be surprised when they arrive than look it up. Of course with COMC I'll be surprised IF they show up but that's a whole 'nother topic. 

But this one will always go down in history as the first card in my collection (that's not a custom card of me) with my name on it. 

13 comments:

  1. That is so cool! Sounds very distinguished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I saw this card I thought of you. I don't follow soccer much either but I at least look at the names when the cards arrive.

    By the way since we are on the topic of names, are you related to Bob Kingsley, the radio host of country music? In the 90's he hosted American Country Countdown, but then he left and then started to host another countdown show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No relation, I think it's actually a stage name for him. I did once get a trade addressed to BEN Kingsley.

      Delete
  3. Even without the name... it's a cool card. But Kingsley makes it that much cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool!! I didn’t even notice it in my magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either, and I subscribe solely to get the cards, lol.

      Delete
  5. I think soccer's too boring. A lot of sedately passing the ball around with nothing happening.

    Nice seeing your name on a card, even if it is a first name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminds me of the line from Simpsons where Homer says he watched "hours and hours of soccer, and almost saw a goal"

      Delete
  6. Count me amongst the "doesn't care for soccer" crowd. I too gave it a try many years ago, during one of the women's World Cup things. Even that gal running around with her shirt off couldn't make it interesting. It may be the most popular 'sport' in the world, but that doesn't mean it's any good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, women taking their clothes off on tv us not a common occurrence yet it doesn't make it less boring.

      Delete