Monday, March 28, 2022

don't eat off THESE plates!

 I love me some printing plates, and I got 8 of them in my latest order from COMC, covering three sports. 

Even though they are 1 of 1 they aren't too expensive and this is the largest grouping I've ever gotten at one time, breaking my old record of...two I think. Maybe three.


This one, a Cyan plate of Norris Cole from 2015-16 Court Kings, is probably the most visually interesting. Since I had sorted them based on price, lowest first, I didn't even realize I got a different card from the Impressionist Ink insert, although a black plate...


but it's not as colorful as the Cyan plate was. This features Tarik Black, and is only my third or fourth card of him. 

This card comes from 2014-15 Flawless's Transitions insert, which was a neat concept...they tracked the different teams the player had been with. With only 2 cards in the set, Tyreke Evans was the smallest part of the checklist and I'm now halfway to completing him.  
The Nets became my first team with multiple plates in my collection when I pulled this out of the box, although the Pelicans and Lakers would follow by time I finished the box (not shown in order of getting). This Markel Brown card, however, is my first from the Brooklyn era. I pulled a Richard Jefferson from 2004-05 Topps Total when the set was new, and interestingly enough, I happened to be in New Jersey when I pulled it, having bought a box to bring and open at the motel the night before the NNL East model show. 
This Magenta plate of Nick Young is pretty colorful...the plates don't actually scan all that well, they are all nicer looking in person. This card is from 2015-16 Court Kings
the final NBA card comes from 2015-16 National Treasures and the Colossal Materials checklist. There's a lot of interesting detail in there which would normally be covered by a jersey piece on the non-plate version. Kind of a shame to cover it actually! This is Ty Lawson. 

Flawless and National Treasures are both stupidly expensive sets, and I will never open a pack from either of them without winning the lottery, so at least I was able to get some cards from them this way. 

I picked up this plate of Cayden Lapcevich from 2018 Victory Lane, which becomes my 4th or 5th NASCAR plate. While I was there, I also picked up the Red parallel and the base card for good measure. 

This set is all etched foil and scans really poorly but they look nice in hand.


I also picked up my second NHL plate, and from one of my favorite sets, 2019-20 MVP. This is one of the short printed cards from the end of the set, and it actually turned out to be my first card of him, making that the first time ever my first card of someone was a printing plate, or a 1 of 1 of any sort. It was just pure luck because I also grabbed the base card in the same shipment. 
He is wearing the alternate, throwback inspired design here as well, which is cool. 

Although this is only barely grazing the surface of the COMC order, there are no more cards that are 1 of 1 coming up but there's still a lot of great stuff. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I have 2, maybe 3, printing plates. I like the novelty of them, but not looking to get any others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't collect them, but have noticed some really cheap ones on the site over the years. Given that they are technically a 1/1, I'm surprised that they haven't seen more of a bump in price since the boom started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've pulled a few printing plates over the years. Held onto about half of them and given the others away (maybe traded some). I don't actively seek them out anymore, because players on my collection list typically are bigger names. However if I found some sitting in a dollar or two dollar bin, I'd probably snatch them up.

    ReplyDelete