Saturday, March 5, 2022

Fishkill, NY Card show report!

 Today I went to the Fishkill, NY card show for the first time, which was really pure luck. My Mom has been not doing to well since she fell last May, and hadn't left the house since October. Well, she finally felt good enough to try going out again on Friday, and we ended up celebrating her continuing recovery with a trip to KFC, which happens to be in Fishkill. On the way home we passed a banner on the church there that there was a card show on Saturday. So, my brother and I went down to it. We had planned to go to the Newburgh card show which is also the first Saturday of each month, but I ended up spending my money here, so only one show was attended. But it was a good one! 

The first dealer I shopped from had a lot of higher end Rangers, which were great to see but a lot of them were more than I was willing to pay for a card. I kind of expected it to be, but I had to ask, and one of the cards I wanted the most was $140. Yeah, no, my personal limit of $20 per card- which is I admit a little flexible sometimes, can't stretch that much. These were $10, $10 and $15, which I was a lot more comfortable doing. 

The second dealer is where I got most of my cards that I purchased. He had lots of boxes covering almost every sport but I only went through the hockey. Unfortunately, I missed the fact that the box was clearly labeled as $2 on the two most columns, so I thought I was buying $1 cards...but I was not. And now that I had them in my hands I couldn't leave without them, so I paid the dealer his desired asking price and honestly...I don't regret it. 
The Dumoulin in a Clear Cut parallel!
I'm a sucker for unlicensed bootlegs.
These are die cut in the glove netting, really cool design

The photo on the Connor card might be my favorite. How cool.
Love the Dazzlers! I got my first blue ones today. I pulled the Green Krebs so I guess I'm halfway to the rainbow now! Need the Orange and Red. 



The Damphousse is a First Day Issue - my first for the NHL.
My first card from 1992-93 Bowman



There were three cards from the $5 bin, which I was aware of the price, and that was the Kolesar and Raddysh cards above...
and this one, which is probably the most visually stunning. It's a shadowbox and that's an actual autograph in gold ink. It's also my first card of him, which is good for me. There's actually quite a few people who appear in my collection for the first time today so I'm thrilled with that. Most of the Young Guns, most of the Portraits, and a couple of the O-Pee-Chee cards too. Nearly 20 people all told today. Of the Young Guns only Keegan Kolesar appears more than twice in my collection, as this is my third card of him. 

After that large purchase, I took a quick walk around the room and made two single card purchases. There was very little NASCAR presence but I found a good one, and the Van Horn is marked at $15 but came out of a $5 box. 

After the show and lunch, we went to my town's St. Patrick's Day Parade, which was great...best one I've been to! More bands, more groups marching, more fire engines. Couldn't ask for more. 

As I'm getting home from that who should be there but the mailman with the latest Topps Now delivery, and I got a blue parallel!
You probably can't see it here, but...
the Blue parallels are SN10! It's the second one I've gotten this year. This pack of stickers delivered 4 or possibly 5 new people to my collection, I can't remember if Quentin Byfield got one in last year's set...I think he did, which would mean 4 new people, it's amazing how little I remember what I have until I scan it. With my arm injury I wasn't able to scan them last year when they arrived like I normally had been doing, and just haven't gotten a chance to get to them yet even though I know right where they are. I believe that is my first (and second!) Francouz card as well.

Turned out to be a great show, and it's monthly so I'm already looking forward to going back.


13 comments:

  1. You found some excellent cards. Must be the luck of the Irish. What a nice day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you fared much better than I did at that show. The one in Newburgh was maybe double the size, but the problem there was too many emnpty tables. Should have been triple. And nice on getting the Topps Now Blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few empty tables at the Newburgh show I went to last year as well as this one...just room to grow as word spreads I think.

      Delete
  3. Some nice pickups there for sure. Definitely many I could have used. I just looked; Fishkill is only a 90-minute drive for me. Stright shot on 84. Might have to make the trip out there in these coming months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! The Newburgh show is the same day and also off of 84, so it would be easy to hit both. They are less than a half hour away from each other.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear that your mom is starting to feel better. Hopefully things will continue to improve for her. Nobody should ever be stuck at home for that long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's been a really rough year for her. We went to the post office and Subway on Tuesday and that felt like a win in and of itself.

      Delete
  5. Similar to Jimetal7212's comment, Fishkill and Newburgh are both about an hour drive from me. Maybe we'll all meet up at a show sometime this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to see you again. And it would be nice to finally meet Jimetal7212 in person. Another TCDB meetup!

      Delete
    2. That would be great if you were able to get here! If you come up the Taconic it's literally three turns, it's also right on Route 9 but having gone that way to get to Untermayer Park & Garden I think the Taconic is easier, haha

      Delete
  6. Those Pacific die-cut goalie glove inserts are awesome! I'm also a fan of that Yashin Donruss Elite insert. Love that shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big fan of die cut cards and the more I'm learning about Pacific the more I'm liking their hockey releases. The All Star card shaped as a star turned out to be my first card from 98-99 Revolution, which was the last set I needed from that season!

      Delete