Sunday, September 10, 2017

Automotive Interests

There is only one thing I love more than cards...and that is classic cars. I'm not the only one, so there are lots of card sets about cars. I didn't think to look for them until I was just about out of money so I only got 4...but I chased my absolute favorite cars, the Chevrolet El Camino and the Edsel.
 I had absolutely no idea this card existed. I did a search for El Camino and this came up...it's technically a football card, part of the 2009 Philadelphia release from Upper Deck. I was even more surprised to see that UD chose to illustrate a 1973-76 model. That generation of El Camino is mostly forgotten, and scorned, even by El Camino fans. I really love it though, and if I ever get an El Camino, this is the generation I'm going to target. As far as I know, this is the only card to show this generation of El Camino ever!
 I really loved the 1992 Musclecards set, and I got most of my collection when it was new. This Prototype is for series 1. The 1970 has long been my favorite El Camino, or at least tied with 1959. I'll never be able to afford either of them, though.

While this card isn't very supportive of the Edsel, there are only 5 cards showing Edsels that I am aware of...3 of them are this card and it's two parallels. Like this one...
I'm a huge Edsel fan but they are so rare. This weekend I've been at the Adirondack Nationals, my favorite car show, and of the 3000ish classic cars in the show...not as single Edsel. Luckily, there were more El Caminos than ever before!

9 comments:

  1. I love classic cars too! I grew up with them as my dad was always picking one up to repair and sell. He had a 63 White Chevy Impala w/ red interior fully restored. Gorgeous car! He let his father-in-law drive it...and he wrecked it. Drove it right into the back of a parked car. He and my step-mom weren't married much longer afterwards. His reaction "my car!!" "Your car?? What about my father?" Yeah, that happened. The El Camino has always been a secret love of mine. I've always wanted one. Hope you get your dream car one day Billy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty cool Julie! I'm glad to know I'm not the only blogger who knows and loves classics. Sounds like a rather unpleasant experience your dad had! I hope to get one as well...it may mean I have to give up collecting cards to do it but I've wanted it for so long I might be willing to do just that.

      Delete
  2. I like classic cars, but I don't have the time, money, or space to start that hobby. I lean toward old pick-ups and Japanese imports, so I'd like to have a 1951-52 Ford F-100, a Datsun 510, and one of the Nissan/Datsun Z-cars. I don't know if I'll ever get around to any of that, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of those Fords too. The first plastic model I ever built by myself was a 53 F100. Maybe when your kids get a little older it might make a nice family project?

      Delete
  3. The mid-70s El Camino is the El Camino that I grew up on and always saw on the streets. I'm surprised it's not well thought of now. It's really the first thing I think of when I hear El Camino ... but I'm not much of a car guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering most noncar people just give you a blank stare of cluelessness when the El Camino comes up, you're ahead of the game!

      Delete
  4. OH yeah National Chicle insert card. As for the Edsel I remember one of those 1980s "reality" TV shows like Real People or That's Incredible, or maybe just some news magazine show like 60 minutes did a piece on the Edsel and it's history. At the time they mentioned an Edsel lovers collectors group or car show group. I tend to think they also tied the piece in with the Henry Ford family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would make sense as the name Edsel comes from Henry's son, edsel.i didn't see that feature, as I don't watch those shows or much of anything else anymore that's not sports. There is an Edsel owner's club that puts on a show, I bet that is who was featured.

      Delete
  5. As a kid I loved the El Caminos and Rancheros. I grew up in New Mexico and there were plenty to be had. Never could afford one but it was always fun to dream.

    ReplyDelete