Sunday, September 3, 2017

Fulfilling expired redemptions on COMC

There's nothing worse than pulling an expired redemption card, and in one case I even pulled one the day after the due date to ship it to Topps. (as an aside, redemptions that ever expire is one of my biggest pet peeves in the hobby- there's really no reason to ever expire, other than the card company being too lazy to put them in a box and wait for the cards to roll in...Panini does this better than anyone else in the hobby! They print expiration dates for some reason but will honor them anyway)

I had the idea, when I came across some expired redemptions in my regular scanning activity, to see if I could fill them on COMC. I wasn't able to fill all of them, but I did get a lot. I am including the expired redemption cards- which I do count as part of my collection- smaller, underneath the card they finally turned in to.

This was the first one I did on there, and that's only fitting, because I pulled the expired redemption all the way back in 1996!
It's the autographed parallel from 1994 Action Packed Hall of Fame.
 The 1994 Action Packed Hall of Fame set may be the first box of basketball cards I ever did...I don't remember, it was in the first three. My local K-mart had boxes of this set, 1990-91 and 1994-95 Hoops on the shelves when I first began collecting, and I got all of them early on...this may have been in the very first box of basketball cards I ever did.

From 1996 Maxx, this five card Sterling Marlin set was available with one redemption card. Sterling was Maxx Spokesman that year, and I never had the opportunity to send it in- Maxx went out of business in mid-1996 and I didn't get the redemption until circa 2000.





Leave it to Press Pass to be the least inspired. The card that was due to be redeemed looked EXACTLY the same as this card, only without the foil name and 2003.  

 2000-01 Fleer Tradition Glossy. This is an autograph.

One of the worst feelings I ever had in the hobby was pulling a redemption card from a pack the day after it expired. I can't remember which card it was anymore, but I remember that it was from Topps. It may have been this one. Topps rushed the set out too early and couldn't even get all the rookies into the base set without redemptions.
Like I said above, I was not able to fill all of them...but getting these filled...especially after having one of these expired redemptions for 21 years now...it's a great feeling. In fact, this may be my favorite project of all that I worked on with COMC...and that's why it's the first I'm showing this week.

5 comments:

  1. It would be great if you were able to find more that you missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, how I miss the box selection that Kmart had back in the 90's! So cheap, and so much to choose from. It's nice too see that you were able to pick up that Dr. Jack auto after such a length of time. Twenty years later, and the Action Packed autographs still look just as cool as they did when they first came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I loved our Kmart in the 90s. This is my first Action Packed autograph, hopefully someday I'll get more.

      Delete
  3. I included some redemption cards as part of my collection, such as the ones you posted. The generic ones you see nowadays I do not consider part of my collection. They are nothing special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still count them...and the similar ones from Upper Deck that have mostly faded now.

      Delete