Sunday, December 10, 2017

Did Topps predict the Figet Spinner...in 2004?

Predicting the future is hard work. Many predictions are wildly inaccurate. (Remember the hype of Y2K?) But occasionally...one is right.

The "fidget spinner" is the toy fad of 2017...they are everywhere, with literally everything available stamped on them. This is a fairly new concept...or is it?

Take a look at the logo for Topps' Rookie Matrix set, the final Topps release of the 2003-04 NBA season. Does that logo not look like a fidget spinner?

OK, so it may be a stretch to say that Topps invented the concept 13 years ago. But the similarity was enough that, as I was scanning it, it inspired me to write this post. And it's been fairly light lately in post creation, so I went with it.

3 comments:

  1. The fidget spinner is officially dead at my school. Thank goodness. I think it had a quicker rise and fall than POGs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had much interaction with them, mostly just seeing them for sale everywhere. I heard they can be annoying though. I actually got into and loved Pogs. I plan to scan my collection of them at some point, too.

      Delete