Sunday, December 3, 2017

Vegas Golden Knights join my collection!

I posted last week that my local Target had either sold out or never put out 2017-18 Upper Deck Series 1. I had to go back today (December 2nd)- when I opened my box of Christmas lights, I was quite surprised to find model car stuff in the box. So a new box was in order. Since I simply can't/won't go to Target without going to the card aisle, I was surprised to see that there were a couple of 32 card fatpacks hanging there...I snapped up one, and they had put out Hoops blasters, surely a restock, which I also got one of.
4 cards in...
My very first Golden Knights card came out of the pack!

This is something I've been looking forward to for 13 months now...so I'm naturally pretty thrilled. As you may recall, as I related a couple weeks ago when I posted about my anniversary with the sport. I got into hockey because of a thread on the Trading Card Database, about the Golden Knights' logo announcement. I put on NHL Network to see what it looked like, and I got hooked. BIG TIME. Not a day has gone by where the NHL was not a part of it...a large part of it.
I've only pulled out 11 of the 32 cards so far, as I only bought one pack I want to spread it out for a while. So far, only one of the 11 people were new to my collection.

I'm going to be collecting hockey cards for a very long time. The rest of my life, is the plan. The Golden Knights will always have a place in my memory for being the team that got me into it, even if the Rangers (none out of the pack yet) are "my team"...not to say I can't have more than one team. This will always be the first...

It is my second card of Brayden McNabb.

Of course, since nothing good can happen without something bad happening, my brother's car almost caught fire on the way home, and is headed back to the shop tomorrow. It's always something. The smell of burning tire/brake line is not a pleasant one!

On a card related note, I got my Secret Santa package today. I won't open it until Christmas Eve, and will post about it then. I hope to get mine out in the mail next weekend. Was going to go buy the present tomorrow, but with our only means of transportation sidelined again, that will have to wait. If I have to pay a little extra to get it delivered before Christmas, I will.

7 comments:

  1. Nice - though not sure how thrilled he seems in that picture...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, he does not look happy. Maybe just an odd choice by UD?

      Delete
    2. I am guessing Upper Deck didn't have anything better at the time and pictures were due for printing.

      Delete
  2. I lived in Las Vegas as a kid during the 1980's and most of the 1990's. Back then, we only had a minor league team called the Las Vegas Thunder. Oddly enough, the minor league team still brought in a decent crowd.

    Hopefully the Golden Knights can keep the seats filled.

    Good luck with your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I bet some of those Thunder fan are now supporting the Golden Knights. I think I have a couple of cards from the earlier team in my collection but I don't remember the minor league cards as well.

      Delete
  3. You beat me to it - I still dont have a VGK card. Maybe if my Target had stocked the shelves a little sooner.

    That is really a badass crest, I hadn't seen it so up-close until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Target is usually really well stocked but not this year... unless you are a soccer collector. The NHL is really popular here and flys off the shelves so it's possible it came and went before I got there.

      Delete