Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Card of the Day - July 2018

July has been a really rough month for me. So much pain I can't describe it. It wasn't all bad- the family reunion was a highlight, and then on the 30th getting our very first ever new car- but I certainly didn't enjoy the month as a whole. Even so, I didn't miss any days of the Card of the Day project, and here they are...

July 1st
1995-96 Collector's Choice Michael Jordan He's Back #M4
I'm actually pretty sure I have this one already, but my records on the Database don't show it. I KNOW I have cards from this design in my collection, and it's only a 5 card set. I know I've always had trouble documenting them but I was able to finally figure it out using the number filter on the Database. If that does turn out to be the case, and it is a duplicate, 2013-14 Select #21 Jimmy Butler is actually the card of record.

July 2nd:
2017-18 Upper Deck #64
From my pack stash.

July 3rd:
2017 BBM 1st Version #335
My first card from this set, and league, a pack sent to me by SumoMenkoMan. This day also marks the true halfway point of the year- it's not actually the break between June and July, as most people think, due to the shortness of February.

July 4th:
2017-18 Hoops #87
From my pack stash. Saw a lot of nice fireworks that day.

July 5th:
1997 K-1 #28
Another one from SumoMenkoMan, and I didn't even ID which sport this one was until late in the month. K-1 is the leading Kickboxing sanctioning body, meaning I got a new sport added to my collection with this card! I figured out which sport it was by typing in the name of one of the people in the pack into Wikipedia.

July 6th:
1991-92 O-Pee-Chee Premier #120
Another one sent to me by SumoMenkoMan, this time the whole box!

July 7th:
1981 Fleer #418
At one point on the Trading Card Database I mentioned that I would like to get the baseball cards of the NBA players who got cards in both sports, This one came to unannounced on July 7th by a Database member who has asked to remain nameless.

July 8th:
1985-86 Star #88
I really love Star cards. I have not added any team bags to my collection since 2015 so I decided to treat myself to two of them this month. (I also added the 1984-85 Nuggets set). Since they came from the same seller on Ebay they arrived in the same box.

July 9th:
2016-17 Panini Threads #120
From my pack stash.

July 10th:
2007-08 Topps Chrome 1957-58 Refractors
From my COMC box. I will sometimes sort Refractors by price and pick off the cheap ones I need. Bonus for this one, it's SN.

July 11th:
2017-18 Panini Instant NBA Champions #1
I had to get the Warriors Champion set again this year- 4 of my top 5 favorite active players are on that roster.

July 12th:
2016-17 Parkhurst #143
A gift from Database member C2Cigars. I had created a list this month of all the NHL cards in my collection with car ads visible on the boards, so he sent me a few I needed.

July 13th:
2017-18 Panini Stickers #454
My local dollar store carries Panini stickers, so I got a pack of NHL and NBA when we went there that week.

July 14th:
2017-18 Panini Stickers #295
I decided to do one pack each day instead of both on the day I got them.

July 15th:
1991-92 Stadium Club #183
From the pack stash. I've been pulling cards out one at a time so this very same pack has been in this project before.

July 16th:
2001-02 Fleer Showcase Best of the West
After not pulling an Elton out of the COMC box in over two months, finally, another! (I reach in randomly to the box- I don't see what card it is until it's out of the box)

July 17th:
2017-18 Vegas Golden Knights Inaugural Season #12
I would not be a hockey fan without the Golden Knights, so I had to get the 55-card team set that was issued for them. It finally arrived on July 17th. I believe it was preordered before the playoffs even began.

July 18th:
1999-00 SPx #102
From the COMC box, my first card of him. Part of my goal of getting everyone to get an NBA card into my collection. He got only 2 I think.

July 19th:
2001-02 EX Box Office Draws #BD 4
 Two Eltons in a span of 4 days after none for two months! This one also came out of the COMC box and somewhere in the box waiting to be pulled out is the jersey parallel of this insert.

July 20th:
2016-17 O-Pee-Chee #684
Another from the COMC box. I've been making a conscious effort to go to it more often. I can't remember everything that's in it and it's starting to hold me back- I didn't buy any more Elton cards in my last buying frenzy because I couldn't remember what I had already purchased but didn't have in hand yet, for example.

July 21st:
2015 Topps Baseball History #5A
The day of the family reunion! Also the day I got the package from gcrl, which contained this card. Dr. King does not have very many, but this is a good one.

July 22nd:
1994 Indianapolis 500 Champions Collection
Also on the 21st I got an unexpected package from Database member mfeik. In it were some of these Indy promos from 1994, which I did not have any of before! Thanks to him, I now have 4 of them, and two to trade.

July 23rd:
2018 Sports Illustrated for Kids 5 #746
My monthly magazine subscription arrived that day, and the first card happened to not only be NBA, but one of my 4 active favorites who is on the Warriors!

July 24th:
2017-18 Essentials Retail #30
From a blaster my mom got for me.

July 25th:
1996-97 Skybox #142
 Arrived via trade with Database member cabz05. Completing the base sets from 1996-97 is high on my priority list and I've gotten a few in trade this year, makes me happy.

July 26th:
2017-18 Upper Deck #420
I pulled this out of my pack stash so I could scan a full page of this year's UD set, I needed 4 to make the page and pulled that amount.

July 27:
2009-10 Topps Gold #27
Pulled from the COMC box. Purchased because cheap SN is a major addiction of mine. Also, I need more Bobcats as a general rule.

July 28th:
1996-97 Z-Force #163
 Got this in trade with Trevor of Bump & Run Football Cards Blog and also a member of the Trading Card Database. This date is an important one for our family- we ordered our first ever new car!

July 29th:
1996 Upper Deck Authentics Duece at the Beach
This card is huge- 7x10 inches at the top of the curve. My COMC order, the largest I've ever gotten at more than 400 cards, arrived that day- strangely, it was Sunday! The 1993 Daytona 500 was the first race I ever saw, been hooked ever since. I have no idea how I'm going to go about storing this thing.

July 30th:
2015-16 Ice #119
What overshadows a 400 card COMC box? Getting a brand new car, which occurred on July 30th! I pulled this out of the last COMC box, which arrived in December. I didn't finish it yet, even though I did the new box in full. In retrospect, I should not have done this card while I waited for the dealer to call, because our first actual stop was the local card store, where I got two packs, pictured in the post about the car.

July 31st:
2010-11 Certified #12
Another pull from the COMC box that arrived in December.

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. One of my favorite series in the blogosphere. Thanks for sharing and congrats on making the whole month through all the trails and tribulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know you always enjoy these, I appreciate the feedback!

      Delete
  2. Once again I have learned things from your blog that I didn't know before. I never knew that Martin Luther King Jr had cards or that Danny Ainge played baseball. Interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's one of three to get cards in baseball and basketball that I am aware of. Dave DeBusschere is one, and one guy from the 1957-58 Topps set but I forget who off the top of my head.

      I think it's only my second card of Dr. King.

      Delete
  3. I hope August treats you better.

    P.S. Love the MLK card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! the pain level has gone back down to manageable so I guess it's getting better already. That is indeed a great card!

      Delete