Saturday, June 29, 2019

They could have made this easier.

I'm always working on scanning something, and I'm finally getting to the 2018-19 Donruss cards I got a few months back.

And this has been in the back of my mind to write about since circa January when I got the cards.

Do you see the card number in this scan?
Here's a closeup. You can kind of see it...black on dark blue, it's nearly impossible to read in hand. I wasn't totally sure if it was #182 or #162 at first, but luckily I got the #162 card in the same pack. (hint- if you highlight the image the number is much easier to read)

The card design is typical Panini, but it's not a bad design aesthetically. It's just super hard to read the card number when it's on black over dark blue.

Ironically, the veteran cards have their numbers in white on a black square. White or team-coded yellow would have been much more legible.

Here's the front of the card for posterity.
Even though Michael Porter Jr. got his rookie cards in the 2018-19 sets, he is actually eligible for the 2019-20 NBA Rookie of the Year. He missed the entire season due to a back injury that required surgery. Although Zion Williamson is already projected to be ROY, the Nuggets think Porter will be in the running. Time will tell.

8 comments:

  1. I hate that black-on-navy numbering. Every time it comes up in a COMC challenge I skip it.

    In my previous job I worked with a girl who was a big Michael Porter Jr. fan. I heard my boss ribbing her about it on draft day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear he's a pretty good player so it doesn't surprise me that he has some fans. I'll be curious to see how he actually does. Today, after this post went off on the schedule, I scanned the Jarred Vanderbilt from the set as well.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the scan of the red backed card, with it I was able to finally figure it out. You are absolutely right, they could have made it easier (for the collectors) but that likely would have made it more difficult for the process, either design or printing, wouldn’t want that now would we. Not a Panini fan,rarely buy anything beyond the occasional single.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a Panini fan either, but with the exclusive license for two of my three main sports, I'm stuck with them. Luckily, I would have been able to figure it out easily with a quick trip to the Trading Card Database, but I didn't have to.

      Delete
  3. Panini has always had a mental block with card backs. I don't understand what is so difficult with making a card back readable, but, yet, time and again, Panini shows it can't do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true...and there's always so much wasted space. What's the worst is when they use tiny text and put very little of it. Really noticeable on the Hoops set which is simply black and white.

      Delete
  4. I hate when Panini does that. For me it makes it even harder since I take real pictures vs scanning them in. It's hard for my camera phone to focus on those numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Panini! Between you and Topps (with their tiny codes on the back of their cards), I'll be blind before retirement.

    ReplyDelete