Sunday, June 23, 2019

A trip to the FASNY Firefighting museum

Yesterday, my entire family went up to the FASNY Museum of Firefighting in Hudson, NY. It was a great place- I ended up taking 1172 photos, which is the third most I've taken in a single day in my life. I'm not going to post them all- I'm not even going to post that many, just some of the best.

The museum actually had a promo trading card, which I will get to later on in the post, which is a first.

 This is the truck Hot Wheels based Old #5 on...a 1928 Ahrens-Fox
 Flags from my family's hometown of Peekskill and some trucks
 They actually had some trading cards on display

 I even took a selfie
 Didn't expect them to have Ancient Rome covered!
 The oldest vehicle I've ever seen! Built in 1725, imported to New York in 1731. Fought fires in NYC until 1844. They imported two at the same time, the second was lost fighting a fire...during the American Revolution!

 Amazing artwork on this rig, from the 1830s.
 This rig was used to fight the Great Chicago Fire! It wasn't from Chicago, it was from here in NY. The Great Chicago Fire was so bad that they put out the call for help and the crew from NY went to help.(I'm assuming they put it on a train, the engine was horse-drawn so it may have been driven...the info sheet didn't say)

 This engine was so powerful that they sprayed the hose on the back of a burning house, and it sprayed all through the house and blew the shutters off the front! It was built in Hudson and served in the Capital Region it's whole life.
 These were not labeled, but they sure look cool.
Outside the museum is a section of bricks with writing on them- all listing Firemen involved in the FASNY organization since it's creation in the 1870s. Each of the standing stones around the perimeter list one of the 63 counties in the state of NY. I photographed every one, which you can see on my website.

The museum is a really fantastic place. If you like history, if you like fire engines, it's worth the drive. I took, as I noted, over 1100 photos, and once I removed the blurry ones and the family ones, I got 1112 to post on my website, which you can see here: FASNY Museum of Firefighting. According to their Facebook page, it is the largest museum of firefighting equipment in the world.

They also had a promo card made! The museum has a Dalmatian who lives there, but wasn't there when we were there. She has a trading card, though. We saw a stack of them sitting behind a counter, asked if we could have one, and we could.
The standard size card features full color artwork on both sides. More than we usually get from Panini, to be honest. It's high-quality.

The gift shop also had a set of 18 postcards for sale, which I bought. Some of the photos used are not great, but the entire set was only $1...can't beat that. I'll cover them in a future postcard post. Mainly because I have not scanned any yet, lol.

It was a great time. And then today, we went to a car show at the Newburgh Mall in Newburgh NY, and saw some interesting stuff...
hit the link for more.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, some pretty cool pieces of history there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed seeing these, truly historical items!

      Delete
  2. That looks like a pretty cool trip.

    I was waiting for this post after seeing the "gallery" for the trading card on the TCDB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a fun trip. Some really interesting stories with the rigs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet selfie! I loved playing with firetrucks as a kid... and on Sunday I found a bunch of vintage firetrucks at the flea market. Unfortunately the guy was asking a lot, so I passed. I was kinda bummed, because it would have made a pretty cool display (and conversation piece) either in my office or classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they are Hess trucks, some of them go for a lot of money...my dad used to give the truck to me every year for Christmas.

      Delete
  5. Love firefighting history, the trucks and diecast. Looks like another great time. Good post.

    ReplyDelete