Sunday, June 2, 2019

My Oldest scanned card from each NHL team

Here's an interesting topic that came to me the other night, while I was perusing my NBA teams section on Cardboard History Gallery. When I do my monthly upload, I like to see if anything I've scanned in the last month makes onto the first page for each team. It sometimes doesn't happen- for most NBA teams, the card would have to be 1991-92 or older to get on page 1. And while the early 90s is a great time, there simply aren't as many cards issued so as a general rule, the teams go a month or two sometimes without a single new page 1 scan.

The NHL, however, is much different. I've only just begun to collect, only in my third season, and I've taken in cards faster than I can scan them. So, I thought it would be fun to take a look at the oldest scanned card for each NHL team. It wouldn't be as much fun to do with the NBA- I don't think anyway- because I already have my entire collections for 1971-72 and older done, so basically it would be a lot of 1969-70 Topps. I expect the sets to be more varied for the NHL, but, let's find out, shall we? I'll be curious to tell if it represents my collection accurately, or if I have older stuff awaiting a scan. Will any long running team not break the 90s? I can't wait to find out, as I compose this post!

Of course, with seasons with multiple sets, and multiple cards from the same set, the lowest card number in the alphabetically first set will get the nod.

Anaheim Ducks
2006-07 Be A Player. This is my first NHL Autograph, a gift from CaptKirk.

Arizona Coyotes:

2014-15 O-Pee-Chee. Both teams moved to their current names that season.

Atlanta Flames:
1973-74 Topps

Atlanta Thrashers:
1999-00 Be A Player. Since this is a look at the league history, it will include defunct teams/names as well. 

Boston Bruins:
1951-52 Parkhurst. My oldest hockey card, so it "wins" by default. 

Buffalo Sabres:
1971-72 O-Pee-Chee

Calgary Flames:
 1981-82 O-Pee-Chee

California Golden Seals:
1971-72 Topps.

Carolina Hurricanes:
 1997-98 Donruss. I need to rescan this one with my newer, better scanner- those lines over that Red Wing should not be there.

Chicago Blackhawks:
 1971-72 Topps, a gift from Mark Hoyle.

Colorado Avalanche:
1995-96 Ultra. This is the only card I have scanned from their first season in Colorado. 

Colorado Rockies:
 1979-80 Topps

Columbus Blue Jackets:
 2000-01 Be A Player Signature Series

Dallas Stars:
 1993-94 Score Canadian

Detroit Red Wings:
 1964-65 Topps. My only card from the set.

Edmonton Oilers:
 1980-81 Topps. I really hate this design, by the way.

Florida Panthers:
 1993-94 Score.

Hartford Whalers:
 1980-81 Topps

Kansas City Scouts:
 1974-75 Topps. The only team with a team logo card as the oldest.

Los Angeles Kings:
 1968-69 Topps. That's a UER, not Skip Krake pictured.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim:
 1993-94 Score. The third team where this set is my oldest.

Minnesota Wild:
 2000-01 SPx.

Minnesota North Stars:
 1970-71 O-Pee-Chee. Should have been before Wild but I typoed Minnesota in the chart I made for this project, and it would be a pain in the butt to fix.

Montreal Canadiens:
 1966-67 Topps. When 2019 began, my 5th oldest Hockey card. Still 7th.

Nashville Predators:
 1998-99 MVP. This exact same design was used for 1999-00 MVP in the NBA, which I got new, so it always throws me off.

New Jersey Devils:
 1984-85 O-Pee-Chee. I really like this design but I don't have much in my collection. I was born during this season.

New York Islanders
 1973-74 Topps

New York Rangers:
 1957-58 Topps. An absolute gem I lucked into being in the right place at the right time for, this was my oldest hockey car from January 2017 through February 2019. Currently my 3rd or 4th oldest, depending on how you want to rank the Bee Hive card I got.

Ottawa Senators 2:
 1992-93 Ultra. I don't have any cards of the first Senators.

Philadelphia Flyers:
 1971-72 O-Pee-Chee. In a weird happenstance, Dornhoeffer was my first player added from both the Topps and OPC sets from this season. It's the only vintage card I have both versions of.

Phoenix Coyotes:
 1996-97 Ultra. The NBA set is my all-time favorite sports card set. The NHL set is too small and does not use holofoil for the name.

Pittsburgh Penguins:
 1971-72 O-Pee-Chee

Quebec Nordiqes:
 1982-83 O-Pee-Chee

Quebec Bulldogs:
 1991-92 Pro Set. This early team dissolved decades before I was born. This card comes from the 75th Anniversary subset from Pro Set. It is my only card in my collection for the team.

San Jose Sharks:
 1991-92 O-Pee-Chee Premier

St. Louis Blues:
 1968-69 Topps.

Tampa Bay Lightning:
 1992-93 Pro Set.

Toronto Maple Leafs:
 1971-72 Topps, another card from Mark. The 1971-72 set appears almost as much in the NHL post as they would have in an NBA post!

Vancouver Canucks:
 1973-74 Topps

Vegas Golden Knights:
 2017-18 Black Diamond. Being so new to the league, they don't have much to choose from. This is the only insert and the only SN card on the list.

Washington Capitals:
 1981-82 Topps

Winnipeg Jets 1:
 1981-82 Topps. Surprised this set only appears once. I have a lot from 1981-82.

Winnipeg Jets 2:
2012-13 O-Pee-Chee Retro. The only parallel to appear on this project. 

And that's all of them. I'll update the list after I get my first Seattle card, whenever that may be. Hopefully by then I will have some of the other rare teams in my collection. 

9 comments:

  1. Lots of fun cards in here. Love the Creighton of course. That Larry Hillman is his head stuck on Dave Dryden's body (a goalie, no less). Topps and OPC did a lot of that even into the 70s with their hockey sets. Check it out:
    Hillman/Dryden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so weird. I wonder why they thought that was a good idea?

      Delete
  2. Great bunch of cards. Commish best me to it on the Hillman Card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you guys mentioned it it's pretty obvious!

      Delete
  3. I was predicting a Pat Falloon card would represent your oldest Sharks card. Oh well. Hackett was a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible one does and just hasn't been scanned yet!

      Delete
  4. Moog's helmet is as fierce looking as Tuuka's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I see a card of him it makes me think of the NASCAR contingency.

      Delete
  5. Great sampling of cards! That Colorado Rockies uniform is terrific. And check out the little white whale on each shoulder of Gordie Roberts' jersey.

    ReplyDelete