Saturday, January 21, 2017

Seeing things? You're not crazie, my first error of the year!

One thing that has been almost totally missing from my now 4 year run on Cardboard History has been my error cards. I love error cards. Not just the dramatic ones, the minor ones too. I even wrote up a post once identifying the rarity of various kinds of errors, but I never finished it- someday I should do that. I don't get to add new errors to the collection as much as I once did, as I am bringing in less random boxes of cards than I used to be able to. I have not been to the only shop that sells the mixed boxes I love for over 2 years now, and I'm opening fewer packs and boxes than ever before.

In the past few years it's led to me adding on average one error per year since 2014.

2017's came early as a gift from CrazieJoe of CrazieJoe's Card Corner, one of the few bloggers who posts on a daily basis. A couple of months or weeks back, I don't remember exactly when, he pulled an error out of his Santa Lot and with it being an NBA card, asked my advice on it. I let him know I would love to add it to my collection, so he was kind enough to give it to me.

The fact that it's from one of my favorite sets of the between the Lockout era only adds to it's coolness.
Do you notice something different about the Chris Kaman card in the middle? It does not have the foil on the name and Ultra logo! In fact, it does- but the card went through the stamping machine in the wrong order, as the foil is visible peeking out from under the white printing surrounding his name, and the Ultra logo.

Very cool! It's my first major error from the 2004-05 Ultra set, and my first error of 2017. Hopefully since it came so early in the year I will be able to add more than one during 2017.

While I have them posted, that's a great card image on the Voshon Lenard card, which shows him holding the trophy for winning the 3-Point Shootout at the All-Star Game. All the Ultras you see here were gifts from Joe.

Thanks Joe!

I've been so lax in posting my errors that they didn't even have a label yet before I made this post. I'll make an effort in 2017 to showcase more of my error collection- I have been lucky enough to pull some spectacular ones. I've also pulled more than a few that aren't really visible in scans, like missing UV coating, or the UV coating applied on the wrong side of the card, that would not be all that interesting to see unless you see them in hand. But I love them all if they are major or minor.

Speaking of errors, I made one a few days when I didn't realize that I had hit the 300 published post marker. The pack of 1990-91 O-Pee-Chee I posted about was post #300, and now I'm already on #304. I have more than 20 ready to go in the Queue as well, including some more of my 2016 COMC Black Friday additions.

6 comments:

  1. Glad I was able to find a happy home for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on making it to 304:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on being in the 300s. I can understand the not noticing achieving the goal. With some of the recent changes to Blogger somethings I used to automatically spot take a few more clicks to locate than they used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got more planned for the future so I wonder if I will even notice when I hit 400 or 500. I will probably hit 400 by the end of the year, because I have so much to post I hold myself back from posting more than once per day.

      Delete