Thursday, February 27, 2020

Cheap Skate Cards

I've been wanting to use that title for so long, and just couldn't figure out how. Finally, I can use it to show the random hockey cards I picked off of COMC for cheap! In every case, I sorted by cheapest and picked off what looked good to me...

 How about my first card from 1954-55 Topps? I decided one day in November to look and see what they were priced about...and I saw this card, which was marked as "poor" was the cheapest for the set. Since he has a somewhat local connection- he ended up moving to Lake George, NY, my favorite place in the world- I knew I had to have it. They marked it as poor because there is an indentation on the card front on his face, and there's a very light S written over the stats area on the back in pencil. Neither of those things were enough to deter me, even with my known aversion to writing on cards.
 I sometimes just do a search for Refractors and pick off cheap ones. It's funny, I got my first 1998-99 Bowman's Best Refractor for hockey 2 years into collecting it...it took me from 1999 to 2016 before I got my first veteran Refractor for the NBA set!
 My first piece of game used puck!
 Another cheap Refractor, my first from the 2000-01 NHL set.
 SN to 260.
 This is actually the clear parallel that is called Glass...even though it's actually plastic.
 Cheap SN.
 This guy's name made me laugh.
 I'm slowly working on this set since a friend sent me something like 85 of the 100 card non-rookie portion of the set.
 A cheap Prizm that's also autographed and game used? Yes please!
 Because Slater Koekkoek's name makes me laugh, I looked it up and it literally translates to Coo-coo Clock Maker.
 I like all three of the Subban brothers, but Jordan was missing from my collection. He doesn't have a lot of cardboard and I search for him periodically. Finally one was in my price range, most before were autographs.

 Working slowly on picking up the Young Guns from 2016-17 and 2017-18 sets.
 My local Wal-Mart has not bothered to stock Parkhurst since 2016-17, so I have not been able to get any. I wanted an example of the red parallel, and Cory was the cheapest.


 More Young Guns I was able to pick off.

 OK, this wasn't necessarily cheap, but I had to have it.
 This is an insert from the 2018-19 Parkhurst set, which I have to resort to COMC to get since my local Wal-Mart is terrible.
 These Banner Year cards must not be very popular because they are pretty cheap. I've been able to pick up a few of them.
This set was only available in Canada, and it's basically the only way to get Women's National Team players on cardboard, since nobody bothered to make cards for the NWHL or CWHL (when it existed). The fact that it's a serially numbered parallel just made it all the better.

I really love the title- if I had been a long time hockey collector, and only a hockey collector, that probably would have been the blog title, in fact. Don't be surprised if I use it again in the future, likely the next COMC order.

8 comments:

  1. good stuff - I will definitely watch for the title again

    I often like how a Chrome card sometimes scans better than they look in hand. I was looking through a small amount of 00-01 Chrome the other day, will have to try scanning some to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrome cards scan poorly, except for the refractors. I was always a fan of Chrome/Finest cards...until I began scanning my entire collection!

      Delete
  2. Great cards. Modern Upper Deck hockey is so cheap due to their ePack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has helped me out quite a bit! I've been picking off the parallels and even some Young Guns that way.

      Delete
  3. Nice Vegas cards, and I'm not surprised Schneider was the cheapest parallel. The Dineen and Linden cards are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Friesen! He was my favorite Shark back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! This is the second premium card of his I've nabbed on COMC recently.

      Delete