Monday, February 10, 2020

Ja (will) Rule

It's always a nice moment to pull your first card of the Rookie of the Year. Because I have dialed back significantly on buying new cards, this year it worked out that the Rookie of the Year has been pretty much decided by time I got my first card of him. That happened today, February 10th.

The award was pretty much handed to Zion Williamson in the pre-season, but then he tore his meniscus and missed half the year. Ja Morant, however, has been playing very well for the Grizzlies...well enough that he's locked up the Rookie of the Year award, I believe. You aren't always sure...sometimes the award is given out for political reasons...but there is no one else having the year quite like he is. If he does NOT win the ROY, I would be truly shocked.

Off the top of my head, this is the first time I've gotten my first card of the ROY late enough into the season that we knew who it would be. (well, I think we all knew it would be LeBron in 2003-04, but I got my first card of him probably in November that year). I thought it was worth documenting this occurrence with a post.

Oh, and in case you're wondering...Ja is short for Jamel. Provided Wikipedia has it correct, anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Nice card, and thanks for the info about his first name. Hopefully Wikipedia has it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never tell, but I can't see any gain in putting in fake information.

      Delete