Sunday, February 23, 2020

New Windsor NY Card Show Report

Yesterday was a great day for the hobby! I had heard about a show coming up in New Windsor NY, and I had been planning to go since late December or so, when I first heard of it. It did not disappoint! It's the first card show in my home state that I've been to since the year 2000....that's a long time! (I have been to card shows in Connecticut and Massachusetts in the interim). The night before, I had gotten a message from Dan, aka Vrooomed on the Trading Card Database, asking if I was going to be there. (I also got a message from one of the guys I know from the comic book circles) I was! And not only that, another Database member was planning to be there as well. So, I began the day having met 3 Database members, and ended it having met 5!  Very, very cool. The funny thing is...Dan and I live about 20 minutes apart. We've both been in the same store at the same time, but didn't determine it until later. We just hadn't had a chance to actually meet yet!

Dan had actually been holding onto a box of stuff for me, because that's what we do on the Database- the thread thanking people for PIFs is over 1300 replies long! Dan spotted me and started waving while my brother and I were still checking in and paying the entry fee (one dollar each). After chatting a little bit we got a picture.
 Later, our friend Jerry got there, and we got another picture!
 Now, I'll show what I got. I spent less than $100 although I do owe some to Dan next time I see him. I'm sorry the pictures are of poor quality. Photographing cards just doesn't work, but it'll take me well into next month to scan these...or later!

 Got all these from Dan! I had been thinking to myself that I've gotten lots of NHL cards from 1971-73, and again from the 75-76 and 76-77 sets, but 74-75 is not well represented in my collection. That's quite a stack of it, and is split almost evenly between OPC and Topps. I had exactly 1 OPC card from that year previously.
 More from Dan, and the three Rangers relics and the Pittman came from the guy who was actually running the show. The Vic Hadfield is PR20! The lowest print run of any card I got. That was my last purchase of the day.
 Back to Dan!
 These two were both single card purchases from different dealers, and the Durant is my first of him shown in a Nets jersey. The Luka was my first purchase of the day.
 Fun with Prizms, although more fun in  person.
 My first cards from the Pinnacle Inside hockey set, and the Kariya is actually an error card, caught in packaging.
 1961-62 Fleer! I hope this dealer is at the next show, I didn't remember what I had, but I know I needed these. At least I thought I did...the Gambee turns out to be a duplicate.
 There was a dealer with a good sized box of NBA, from the 90s and 2000s, but unfortunately most of it was stuff I had. I'm not even sure if all of these are new or not, but for the prices asked (10 cards for a dollar) I didn't want to take any chances and got them. There are three Topps Stars Finest parallels in here, which are rarer.
 I know I overpaid for this box, at $20, but you can't put a price on the enjoyment of going through it. It's a mixture of various sports, but a lot of it is hockey. When I started going through it, I found a price tag from a card/comic shop we used to go to in Fishkill, NY, that closed in 1996!

 Back to the stuff from Dan...check out those awesome off-centers! Some of them are not only off-center, but the backs are the wrong card and upside down! Triple Errors!
I think these Studio cards are now the largest in my collection. The Kariya shown is a standard sized card, shown for scale. I don't even know if I will be able to get them onto my scanner! There's a Jason Arnott underneath the Chelios.

What a great day for the hobby! I got to meet two friends I've known online literally for years, I got a bunch of great cards, and I just realized when typing this, I hit 5000 serially numbered cards in my collection! I have not figured out which card it was yet, but that'll get it's own post- once I get it scanned. Stay tuned for later this week. That's a huge, huge milestone and something I've been working towards since 1997! I ended up staying awake for 23 hours, so I didn't realize it yesterday when it happened.

But wait, there's more. I found out that they plan to do these quarterly AND there's a new bi-weekly show starting up next month in Fishkill NY! I will be attending most of them, and I can't wait.

20 comments:

  1. These are some fantastic cards, especially the Prizm basketball, vintage, and the ITG stick cards. It's great to see you meet up with some TCDB members. Looks like the hobby is booming in your area, which is also great news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely on an upswing. I won't be complaining!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a great day! Always nice to meet people who are involved in the hobby, especially those who share ties with the inner circle a la the Trading Card Database.

    Those Pinnacle Inside cards came packaged inside a tin can, you had to use a can-opener to get 'em out; but you may know that already! Love the Studio set as well by the way, wishful thinking that some company will revive the idea and release an updated set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were all actually promos! I do remember opening some cans of the NASCAR release when it was new. Chris sent me a can but I can't bring myself to cut it open yet.

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to the show starting up next month. Nice pictures of you and your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am incredibly jealous of all the junk wax hockey you got. My eyes immediately went to that Alexandre Daigle in the box!

    Hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great day, I'll say! I spent Saturday working. ... Hoping I can last another month-and-a-half to get to my first show of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Month and a half, more time to set money aside for it!

      Delete
  6. Great stuff. Half the fun of card shows is getting together with friends and hanging out. Love those three 2004-05 ITG Franchise memorabilia cards! The Heads Up quad relic is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed and it's a newer experience for me. When we used to go to card shows weekly back in the 90s it was mostly family interaction, although did get to know some of the dealers.

      Delete
  7. How in the world did you carry all those cards around with you? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like it was a pretty decent sized show, do you remember how many tables were there? Having had a little bit of interaction with Dan, it's kind of nice to be able to now put a face to the name. Love the '61-62 Fleer pickups, great prices too! I rarely, if ever, see them for under $15 at shows, and that's in any condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were about 25-30 tables, with about 3/4ths of them cards. The rest being a mix of comics and games. 61-62 Fleer is a rarer set for me, too. I only had a dozen before that show.

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, sounds like a great day for sure. Super jealous you have a show so close that will be so frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I finished processing the cards in that shoebox...998 new cards, 28 new sets, all football and baseball. Six sports and non-sports were covered, I even managed to get a new NASCAR card out of it! Of the 998 cards, 875 of them were hockey cards.

    ReplyDelete