Saturday, December 8, 2018

Card of the Day : November 2018

Unlike October, I'm being proactive and starting this during November, not halfway into December, hah! Well, that was the plan. I wrote that first sentence and the captions up to and including the 13th, but didn't touch the post again until December 7th, and almost the 8th- 11:40 PM to be exact- when I made a mad rush to get everything scanned and somewhat close to caught up. I ended up getting myself backed up again- something I said I would not do- but I did. Again.

November 1st:
2003-04 Bowman Signature #114
Back to the COMC box and this set again. I believe this is his only card. Too bad about the terrible photoshop job.

November 2nd:
2015-16 Ice Rookie Relic Jumbos #RRJ-NG
My first time going to Target since I think June or July. This is the guaranteed hit out of a 20-pack for $20 repack I purchased that day. It is also my first card of him!

November 3rd:
1990 Topps #178
Running out of things to do without a computer, I actually wrote out a paper listing for this set, the first and probably only time I will do that for Baseball. Naturally, I went through some I had on hand. These were sent to me by Jon from A Penny Sleeve for your Thoughts back in January.

November 4th:
2009 Rookies & Stars #30
I almost forgot to do the card this day. It was after 11:30 at night when I remembered. That would have been my dad's 72nd birthday.

November 5th:
2014-15 O-Pee-Chee Retro #364
This one came from Shane of Shoebox Legends. This is such a great design. It looks like it is from the 70s, but it's actually a new design from 2014. I got my first two from Shane that day (also getting Kevin Bieksa) but I want to get lots more of these.

November 6th:
1993 Portfolio Endless Summer Cover Card #1

I thought I got my computer fixed this day, so I was busy doing card stuff on it all day. I decided the day was worthy of a girly card. Unfortunately after 25 years being sealed in the pack, all but the non-UV coated cover card took bricking damage. I didn't even realize until I entered it onto my list on the Database that she wasn't wearing a shirt. I guess I'm officially old.

November 7th:
2004-05 Bowman Chrome #135
Received in trade with Chris, The Collector, although done through the Database. Minard is a rare player...he only has 14 cards, and this is only my second of him. I got the basic Bowman card, non-chrome, when the set was new. I actually opened the package from Chris while waiting for my computer to turn on that day. Before I got done reading the cards, I knew it was dead. Later that day I went to Best Buy and got a new one.

November 8th:
1998-99 Upper Deck #53

Hadn't hit the Sousafly collection for a while, so I did.

November 9th:
2018-19 Panini Stickers #404
I knew the set was out, but I was pleasantly surprised when my mom got me 3 packs from the dollar store. This is my first from the set!

November 10th:
2018-19 Panini Stickers #159
That could not have been better! After seeing how much I was enjoying the stickers from the previous day, my mom went back to the dollar store and got me more of them. My first one out happened to be my favorite player!

November 11th:
1992 Pacific The Story of WWII #33
I wanted to have a military themed card for Veterans Day. Since it was the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI, it would have been nice to have a card from that...but I don't. The Pacific WWII box I bought in 2014 would do nicely, and it did. The entire first pack I opened was duplicates. Not the first time it happened.

November 12th:
1994 Simpsons II Promo #B5
For those of you who think I'm organized...you have not seen my storage units. You know how things look after a tornado, strewn about every which way? Well, picture that...only stacked higher. The common running joke in the family is that if something goes to storage, it never gets seen again. It's not wholly unfounded, but I'm trying to change that. I would love to have it organized and be able to find what I'm looking for, when I'm looking for it...I'll settle for eventually finding the specific things I'm looking for. We only did two boxes today (I'm writing to this point in the post on the 13th, but before going to bed) but I did manage to find a card I had absolutely zero recollection of ever having seen before. It took some damage, as the box appears to have gotten wet in our previous storage units, which leaked- but everything in it was from 1994 or older. Luckily the card was still in it's original 1994 shrink wrap, so the damage was minimal.
Those holes are supposed to be in it, by the way. It also came with an instruction card showing how you should string a string through it and spin it around.

November 13th:
2017-18 Upper Deck #478
Hitting the blaster of 2017-18 UD series 2. I opened three packs but this was the only new card.

November 14th:
1998-99 Upper Deck Super Powers #S23
I missed scanning this one, I got so backlogged, and had to find it an scan it so I could make this post. As I'm writing this, I have not even gotten the back scan edited yet.

November 15th:
2018-19 Panini Stickers #117
I'm really enjoying the Panini Stickers. You will see them again in this post.

November 16th:
2006-07 Hot Prospects #84
This is a gift from Shoebox Legends...not the box that he sent me in September, but one he sent me sometime late in 2017! I had saved some for the Card of The Day Project and I'm getting near the end of the year...and still have a bunch of stuff.

November 17th:
2016-17 Complete Silver #165
From my pack stash. Happy to hit a Knick totally randomly.

November 18th:
2018 Victory Lane #81
The 18th was the final day of the NASCAR season. It's funny, last year one of my all time favorites dominated, but I didn't enjoy it at all. This year, two of my all-time least favorites dominated, but I enjoyed it more than I have in years. I don't get it. I purchased a blaster of this set specifically to open it that day.

November 19th:
2007-08 Upper Deck #266
An even bigger box showed up from Shoebox Legends that day! This was the first card out of it...and it was also my first card of him, too!

November 20th:
1967 Philadelphia #34
A gift from C2Cigars on the Trading Card Database, part of his package of athletes who were diabetic during their careers.

November 21st:
2018-19 Hoops #80
I'm not going to be chasing Hoops as much this year, but the local dollar store has them. And they have an exclusive parallel. So far, this is the only time this year's set appears in the project. I don't have any of the 18-19 Upper Deck or O-Pee-Chee hockey sets at all, either, and I'm not sure I will. I want to, but it seems like it might not happen. Maybe for Christmas.

November 22nd:
2018-19 Panini Stickers #407
Last time the Panini Stickers appear this month. Just coincidence that two of the four times are Wild.

November 23rd:
2016-17 O-Pee-Chee Platinum Royal Blue Cubes #42
This is such a cool looking parallel. I snagged it off COMC.

November 24th:
2017-18 Prestige #15
Still working on the blaster I bought in June.

November 25th:
2011-12 Panini Contenders #180
Back to the COMC box.

November 26th:
1968 Topps #92
Another from C2 of the Diabetic athletes.

November 27th:
2004-05 Topps Chrome #187
From COMC box again. Pretty sure this card and it's parallels are his only cards.

November 28th:
2017-18 Prestige Horizon #141
Back to the same blaster. This is a neat looking parallel in hand, doesn't scan as well as it looks.

November 29th:
1995-96 Collector's Choice Debut Trade Player's Club #T1
I got this whole 30 card set out of the Sousafly Collection. I didn't have a single one beforehand!

November 30th:
1999 Episode I Widevision #61
I got these packs back before Disney got Star Wars and made it stinky. I pull from them occasionally. It may be the last time Star Wars is in this project, though. If it wasn't for Disney it would have been a much larger presence throughout this project.

Just one month to go! This project started out fun, got tedious quickly, and now, I just want it to end. But I cannot, will not bail with now less than a month to go until completion.

BONUS!

Remember last month, I couldn't find a card, and figured it was accidentally put into one of the boxes? Well, I wasn't quite right with that. I found it, but it was not in one of the boxes. it was in a much worse place. It had fallen under my table, and only by pure luck did I not step on it or run it over with my chair.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting....now let's see what you get for Christmas. šŸŽ„

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a few weeks. If I want to hit my self imposed quota of 10 posts a month I need to hurry up.

      Delete
  2. Not noticing that that gal wasn't wearing a shirt is not a good sign, but hopefully it didn't take you nearly as long to realize that she wasn't wearing any pants :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Couture is sweet! Gotta find me a box of Pacific WWII. That would be a fun to break. And it pains me to hear about UV coated cards sticking together. I stumble across a stack of these at least once a year... and it's straight disheartening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A full box is probably overkill...I have to get only one pack's worth left and still have half a box. But they are cheap enough that it might be worth it...you could give the dupes to your students, there's nothing gory in the set.

      Delete
    2. there aren't any affordable boxes on eBay right now... but i've added it to my saved searches. if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

      Delete
  4. Final stretch!! Thanks for the great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll see a Sump card in December! I waited because I was hoping someone would put the checklist onto the Trading Card Database as I'm tracking the list on there, but I couldn't wait any longer and risk not getting any in at all.

      Delete
  5. I like the look of this year's Panini NHL stickers. And the Kranepool is from one of my all-time favorite baseball sets; didn't know he was a diabetic.

    I'm happy I could contribute a card to your November COTD list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either, but what I don't know about baseball has filled many books!

      Delete
  6. Glad I could help contribute for another month!

    ReplyDelete