Tuesday, June 2, 2020

2501

That's how many cards I scanned, edited, labeled and uploaded in the month of May. That's not my record, but it kind of is, too.

From 2012-17 I spent most every day working towards getting everything in my collection scanned and posted on the Trading Card Database.

Since I finished that project, in the Christmas week of 2017, I've been a little rudderless...with no "driving force" project I've bounced around, working on various boxes of "whatever"- sometimes on a kick of something, like when I spent half of April working on the 1993-94 Topps NBA set, or the other half working mostly on Non-Sports for example. Some times I felt more like doing the mixed sets of NBA, NHL or NASCAR, mostly stuff I set aside because it was already done on the Database.

So, in short, I went from averaging more than 2500 cards scanned per month down to about 750 scanned per month average...even NONE scanned in August 2019 at all!

Couple this with the burnout I gave myself that lasted most of 2019 (and part of 2018 as well) with the "Card of the Day" project....I just didn't do as much as I would like to accomplish on a regular basis.

I have been keeping track of everything I scan in a month since mid-2016, when I lost some of my work to a hard drive crash...now, with this Excel chart, which I store remotely, if I should ever lose anything again, I will know what I have to redo. It also allows me to keep track of how many I've scanned.  As is my usual habit, I made an Excel chart that shows the totals.
As you can see, this past month clearly holds the record for most scans in the "scan for fun" period.
By almost 600 cards!

It probably didn't hurt that the box I spent most of the month on happened to contain two of my all-time favorite sets in 1990-91 and 1994-95 Hoops, as well as easy to scan sets like 1989-90 Hoops, 1990-91 Fleer and 1993-94 Hoops, all of which I scanned well north of 100 cards from. The box I was working from are the sets that were already completely scanned on the Database before I began posting there in 2012...1986-87 through 1990-91 Fleer, the Hoops sets mentioned, and 1993-94 Stadium Club, along with a few rare cards from 1996 Fleer USA, a set I have very little of.

This isn't a race or anything, but I am somewhat proud of this accomplishment. And the fact that I took more than an entire week away from scanning to work on models, and process new cards from the collection I bought in 2018...that makes it even more amazing to me.

Just in case you are wondering, of the 2501 cards:
  • 1474 NBA
  • 468 NHL
  • 212 Non-Sports
  • 184 NASCAR
  • 63 Football
  • 37 NCAA basketball
  • 30 Multi-Sport
  • 19 Big3 basketball
  • 11 Golf
  • 10 Baseball
  • 9 Olympics
  • 2 WNBA
  • 1 Soccer
  • 1 Wrestling

In addition to that, I also made 22 packaging images. I also accomplished a collecting goal that I've wanted to do since the 1990s, and will be getting a post soon, and on June 1st, I hit a major milestone...for real! Stay tuned...

For now I'm working on my monthly uploading to the Cardboard History Gallery, which I do on the first of every month. There's so many images that I may not finish this week, but that's OK...because that's all very much fun to do, and I'm always a little disappointed when I finish each month...some months I get done all three sections in one day (By year, by team and by person) but in this month, I didn't even finish the NBA in one day. 

PS, none of this had anything to do with the virus stuff. I just got my scanning mindset back + got into a box with some favorite sets.

Update: I had this post written and scheduled before I saw that NBA Legend Wes Unseld passed away today, that stinks. He was only one of two people to ever win NBA Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same season. A lifelong icon of the Bullets, he played for them, guided them to their only championship, then became GM, VP and Coach after he retired. I actually scanned a couple of his coaching era cards in May.

U is also a very unusual letter for a last name to begin with. He is the letter leader for my entire collection with 38 cards, including 2 autographs.

R.I.P. to Mr. Unseld.

3 comments:

  1. Sad to hear about the loss of another NBA legend. Rest in peace, Mr. Unseld.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A ton of cards you got done there. Unseld was truly a great. A guy you'd want in the post every night.

    ReplyDelete