Tuesday, June 23, 2020

7 day Card Challenge Day 7: Favorite hobby trend of the year

So, we've reached the end. This was fun! I shouldn't have dragged my feet for so long. and it's nice to be able to bang out quick posts that don't require the long form historical essays I tend to write.

Best hobby trend to emerge this year....I'm going to have to modify it a little. Because 2020 is pretty crummy. (yes, that is meant to rhyme...humor me). We have sports on hiatus, although some are back now, all the events I look forward to cancelled or postponed indefinitely, and the ones that have come back I don't feel are safe enough for someone with my pre-existing health problems, and most importantly, we have people dying all over. Including some people I know. People being threatened or worse just because of their skin color...so yeah, not a great year so far, and it's probably going to get worse...let's just say, the old phrase about people ignoring history are doomed to repeat it, 2020 is your year folks. Of course, the people who are literally doomed, not just figuratively, it's not really going to matter too much, but I digress.

So for year I'm going to go to the year in two of my sports...both the NBA and NHL's year starts in October and goes to June...or whenever, this year. Cards on demand is not a new trend this year, but they have been very expensive and only came one card at a time. What I've chosen is the Topps Now NHL set. Because UD has the exclusive card license, they are stickers, but so what? And you get a whole week's worth, instead of a single card! For what Panini charges for one NBA or NASCAR card, you get 9 hockey stickers (cards). THAT is an awesome trend.
 They capture moments in time....
 give us unusual angles...
 document history (and those awesome chrome helmets!)
 get people onto cards for the first time...
 even get the whole team in on the action.
 Of course, they don't always proof read.
 There's even inserts...
 and parallels!

I discovered these totally by accident. when I saw some get posted to the Trading Card Database. If I had known they existed at the start of the year, I'd have been buying them all year long. This is probably my favorite set of 2019-20, even if I have less than half of it. Next year, I will be ready...and if this season ever gets going again, I will be ready then, too. I hope they keep it up for a long time.

Thanks for reading my entries in the 7 day challenge. I did, as I mentioned before, write them all up in one night. It was a fun diversion but now I have to go back to thinking up my own topics again. Not a problem, as I have a lot to post about, just have to find the motivation. Hopefully you enjoyed reading them as I much as I enjoyed writing them. And thanks to Tim of Cardpocalypse for the inspiration!

6 comments:

  1. Impressed that you sat down and wrote all of these posts in one evening. I still haven't figured out which card I'll be using in my Day 6 Challenge... but I have an idea of what I want to write about for the Day 7 one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s nice to have some variety again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so awesome! I had no idea they existed. I may have to do a search and see what's out there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing a superb Blog. On this website, I always see quality-dependent articles. I also follow you. I want to be the best blogger like you—every time I like to read your writing stuff because I get very useful content there. You do great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the very first time, I read your blog and loved it. Your way of delivering content is amazing and appreciable. Hope you will continue this and provide new, unique, and strong content from your side. For me, it’s a five stars article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our dissertation writers have years of experience. While our quality control department checks all the final products before delivering them to you by getting help from dissertation help UK. We do everything in a professional and smooth manner.

    ReplyDelete