Wednesday, June 17, 2020

7 Day card Challenge Day 4: Favorite Basketball card.

This is the hardest one of all. Really, how can I pick? The NBA makes up about half of my collection. Of the roughly 180,000 cards I have more than 94000 NBA cards...and that total doesn't include the WNBA or college cards. (Using just the basics of those numbers percentagecalculator.net says it's 52% of my collection.) Both numbers are actually higher than that, I'm just using the basic numbers.

So, picking just one...impossible. The gears in my head started turning, how could I post something here? I could go for a easy way out, and post this picture from one of my sortings...
but that's kind of like weaseling out of it, so I won't do that. And besides, I've added a LOT of cards to my collection since this was taken in 2011...about 22 thousand if I am doing the math correctly in my head.

So, what to do? I will let the randomness of the Cardboard History Gallery decide what I will post. Every time you view the list of albums, the sample image changes, so I will go to the NBA listing, and see what card it shows as a sample for my favorite season, which is 1996-97.
A screenshot to show what I used...

and this is the card it chose.
It chose 1996-97 Upper Deck #57, Loy Vaught. A good choice, he was my favorite Clippers player before they traded for Elton Brand in 2001! This is my favorite Upper Deck flagship as well, scans don't do the foil, basketball textured border justice. I like that every card is dated as well!

With 3,782 cards scanned for that season, I really had no idea which card it would choose, but I'm happy with this result.

5 comments:

  1. Creative workaround/solution. I am a big fan of that UD set as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I sort of use the same process later in the project as well.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for making me feel much better about the stacks of cards I have sitting on my office floor. I'm impressed that you were able to get them stacked so high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually quite a challenge. I don't think it's big enough to see in the photo but they are actually sorted by last name here. The three giant stacks in the middle and the two columns leading toward the camera from them are all the letter M.

      Delete
  3. 96/97 Upper deck was one of my favorites. You could have chosen a 100 different cards for that year with their great photography

    ReplyDelete