Monday, June 15, 2020

7 Day Card Challenge Day 3: Favorite Football card


This is a tough one for me. I'm not a football fan...of the five major sports it's my least favorite. (and one of only two I've seen in person). But...since I will take any card ever, for the hopefully forthcoming museum...I have acquired over 2000 of them. And like the last post in this series, I've shown this one before.

From 1993 Topps, this is a great photo, capturing a real moment in time. That guy with the ball is roughly 2 seconds away from being crushed and seems totally oblivious to that fact, as Mike Jones literally flies through the air, presumably to perform a better squashing of the ball holder. I may not be a football fan but I can certainly recognize great photography when I see it.

Or....
Technically, this is a football card. An insert in 2009 Philadelphia, several cars got cards...and one of them is the El Camino! If you've been a regular reader, you know I'm a life-long fanatic of the Chevrolet model that was build from 1959-1987. I dream of someday owning one, and this generation- the 1973-77 models- is the one I've targeted, due to style and price point. (I could actually afford one of these if I saved up for a year or so; they sell for about $5000 to $8000 since it's the least popular generation). But alas, I don't have the physical capability to work on cars, and my health problems prevent me from driving. So, the odds of me ever actually getting an El Camino or any other classic car are about as likely as winning the lottery...which I don't play.

8 comments:

  1. Great stuff Billy! I had never seen that El Camino before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it totally by accident. I occasionally do searches for El Camino on COMC and it popped up there!

      Delete
  2. So you get the car, somebody else can drive you to the car shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or take it one step further: Secure a lounge chair and picnic umbrella to the cargo bed and be driven to the car shows in style.

      Delete
  3. That 2009 UD Philadelphia set was pretty darn cool. I recently discovered the Shinkansen (Bullet Train) card from that set... and today you opened my eyes to the El Camino. Might need to see what other cool singles reside in this set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they have a Ford Mustang in the set. Think I have one in my COMC box waiting to ship. There are others, too.

      Delete
  4. I have never seen that base card before and I collect football die hard. Great photo

    ReplyDelete