Monday, June 22, 2020

7 day Card Challenge Day 6: Favorite Non-Sport

This is the second toughest one after only favorite NBA card. Non-Sports cards are actually one of my favorite aspects of the hobby, but I don't talk about them that often because there's not really a whole lot of modern stuff to collect, and I don't really have access to the older stuff all that much.

It's unfortunate, but that's just the reality of what it is at this moment in time.

So, I'm going to let the Cardboard History Gallery Randomizer work for me again...only this time, I'm not going to pick a favorite season and pick the random card chosen. I'm going to go to the Non-Sports by subject page, and look at the list of all the randomly chosen cards...whichever one I want to write about will get the nod.
Here's a screenshot to show you...can you guess which topic I chose?

But first, you may notice the date stamp if you're paying close attention. Yes, I wrote up all 7 of these in one night, the night of the 10th into the 11th of June. I tend to write in spurts...in the 30 Day Challenge of several years ago, I wrote the first 28 posts one Saturday and literally fell asleep at my computer while working on the next post.

Back to our regularly scheduled topic...
I chose Other Comics. This is a section of my collection I only broke out when I created the listings for the Cardboard History Gallery back in January of this year. Previously, all other comics were mixed into the "everything else" section. I grew up a DC fan- I had my first DC comic read to me at 5 days old and I'm still in the hobby...and while I've never been a big fan of Marvel they have a much better cardboard presence than DC does. But there are other comic companies...lots of other companies.

For a short time I was a big Archie fan. From roughly 1996-2001 I collected over 1000 different Archie comics. In fact, from sometime in the 1990s until 2017 an Archie comic was my oldest comic, although I have not actually seen that book since 2002. Archie is not particularly popular and the comics sell cheaply- or at least they did, back then. In 2001 or so, I got "saturated" to the stories...I had read enough by then that I was starting to recognize that many of the stories being published were pretty much old stores with slightly modernized artwork. I stopped reading them at that time, and I've only read a handful of issues since- maybe 4? Mostly from the Free Comic Book Day events. I do have some nostalgia for them, and am looking forward to getting to them whenever I do, in my long-delayed-but-at-least-finally-started project of scanning the covers and reading every single book in my collection, a project I began in April of 2020.

Archie got a card set in 1993...I remember doing a box of them at one point. The sad thing is...those cards are all lost. I did that box when I was totally immersed in the NBA- nothing mattered except NBA cards. Even NASCAR got ignored. They are somewhere in my storage unit, but who knows where, or if I'll ever see them again...the crazy thing is that I found a gift bag, that apparently was made up of duplicates...(based on what else was in it) and so I was able to add some of the Archie cards to my collection proper. They've been lost so long they are not counted because I didn't fully document my non-sports cards since 2010. (the duplicates I've found are) It's roundabout, but the cards I considered duplicates in the 1990s are now part of my collection proper...and due to the conditions in my storage unit, even if I ever do find them, odds are they may be damaged or worse, so the duplicates may stay in my collection forever.

Kinda crazy, almost like something that hapless Archie would have happen to.

And the question you may be wondering but are too afraid to ask- Betty. There's about zero question that is who I would have chosen if I was Archie.

1 comment:

  1. I think Archie comics are the only ones I consistently read when I was a kid. I don't remember this set from 1983, but I did buy some packs of sketch cards that supported the March of Dimes a few years ago:

    https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-2009-archie-comics-sketch-card.html

    ReplyDelete