Thursday, June 11, 2020

7 Day Card Challenge Day 1: Favorite Quarantine Addition

A few weeks ago- actually, last month- Tim over at Cardpocalypse challenged us to do a  seven day post series. I replied that I would do it on Twitter since I had stuff lined up for here. Well, lo and behold, I have not gotten those posts written yet...due to working so hard on my scans and Cardboard History Gallery where I have still not finished the monthly upload yet, taking time out to work on my scale modeling hobby, and my overall state of unhappiness and despair caused by the general situation of the world right now...and Twitter is an absolute cesspool, and I've decided I don't want to spend any time there I don't have to. So, finally, I've decided to do them here...let's see if I can get them actually written and posted.
Man, some of these are going to be tough. I'm going to have to be creative on some here. But, let's see what I can do...

Day 1, favorite card acquired during Quarantine...hmm...I have a couple of cards that immediately spring to mind, but I need them for the posts I mentioned coming up, which, while I have not written yet, WILL be written at some point...so I'll go to one of the few instances of new cards that I got during the past month or so.
From the 2020 Donruss set, this is a silver parallel of the Throwback paint schemes that were run at Darlington last year. My favorite paint scheme program of the year, last year's race focused on the 1990s. Bubba ran a car in honor of Adam Petty, who was killed in an on track incident at age 20 in 2000. Victory Junction is a camp where sick kids are able to go and enjoy life and their parents don't have to worry about paying for anything- it's run entirely on donations and volunteers. Before Adam was killed he was already laying the groundwork for this camp...instead of running it himself, his family runs it in his honor. Losing Adam was a major blow to the sport and the Petty family, I don't think they have ever truly recovered, to be honest.

So, you have a really special paint scheme, and then you have one of my favorite active drivers behind the wheel...it doesn't get much better than that. Many people who are...or I should say were...not fans of NASCAR have likely heard of Bubba in the past few days, as he's gotten some national media attention in the past week. He's got a unique platform being the only active Black driver, and he's using it to try and make the world better. Maybe this time that can actually happen, but based on the reaction you see on places like Twitter, probably not. I plan to support him no matter what.

3 comments:

  1. It was probably hard to narrow it down to just one card, but you picked a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of Bubba until this week, but it's awesome that he's using his voice to try to make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn’t know about Bubba either. My NASCAR knowledge isn’t what it used to be

    ReplyDelete