Thursday, June 18, 2020

7 Day Card Challenge Day 5: Favorite other sport card in your collection (NSFW?)

Hmm, another tough one but only third toughest I would say. You would think that naturally I would go with NASCAR or the NHL, but I've touched on both of those already in this challenge. The other "sport" I collect is not a sport so much as a sporting event, or convention, if you will...the Olympics.

When I think of Olympic cards, there really aren't that many choices. The Olympics didn't start getting cards regularly until 2012, although there were other sets available earlier...and several for the 1996 games, held in Atlanta. I was/turned 12 years old in 1996, and while that year began the NBA's dominance, I still got some of the Olympic cards. In fact, that was the first year I really became an Olympic fan. While I had watched previous events, it was the 1996 games where I became a true fan of the event, and I've watched them regularly in every Olympiad ever since.

One card from that 1996 set, I got it when it was new...and considering my age, at that time, it became a favorite.

You may or may not consider it NSFW, just on the off chance that you do I thought I would give a warning.
Yes, they actually gave a card to a giant naked lady statue. Even back then, when I was first starting to notice...such things...I always wondered what the front of the statue looked like. I'm not a "butt man", and even back then I knew I wasn't, but this card still represents...and is, since it's a scan of that very same copy of the card...the very first image of a naked woman I ever saw. Even though she's made of stone, is ~20 feet tall, and not of a real person, that's still pretty important.

Fun fact: the ancient Olympics in ancient Greece, all the athletes were fully nude. And so were the spectators! They'd probably get a lot more viewer ratings today if they were naked...
The Greeks didn't really care about nudity. Nor did the Romans, for that matter. It's really the Catholic church that made that a bad thing. Not that I consider it a bad thing...

It's too bad I'm not doing a "match the card to a song" thing like Nite Owl has popularized. A seven day card challenge, and a giant naked lady statue...that would play perfectly to the Barenaked Ladies' One Week.

3 comments:

  1. I like your Day 5 selection. Definitely unique and it features a very nice view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this card existed. Another excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete