Thursday, December 19, 2019

Cardboard History History of Cardboard: 1910-1919

The 1910s saw World War I, the first automotive trading cards (sadly not present in my collection) and probably the golden age of tobacco cards; in my opinion this decade is the best in non-sports card history...unfortunately they are just not easy to find.

1910
1910 ATC Fish Series (Piedmont back)

1911
1911 Heroes of History/Men of History

1912
1912 Player Egyptian Kings, Queens & Classical Deities

1913
1913 Wills Arms of Companies

1914
1915
1915 Lambert & Butler Aviation

1916
1917
1918
1918 Arm & Hammer Useful Birds of America 2nd Series

1919

There's some real greatness here. 1911 in particular has multiple great sets; the card chosen was my first tobacco card, an ebay purchase back around 2012. 1911 also saw the first automotive set, someday I will add that to my collection. I also have 1 card from the 1914-15 Sweet Caporal War Pictures set, but I don't know which year it was from. It's a high number, so I suspect 1915.

10 comments:

  1. Billy, these posts continue to astound me. And make me want to acquire some of these gems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! Collecting non-sports cards is a lot of fun. And much more reasonably priced than sports cards...the problem is locating them, after 100 years they aren't all that common. Check out Open Binders on Ebay.

      Delete
  2. Really cool! I am a fan of the animal cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...I wish they were still as common now as they were then.

      Delete
  3. Such terrific cards. Just like the first comment up top, I think I might try to add some 100-year-old cards like these to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Not sure if I've ever seen any of these before, but they're so cool. I think my favorite is the Julius Caesar, but the Zeppelin is pretty awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really cool set. It has other Romans in it but I have been unable to find a copy of them yet.

      Delete
  5. I have that exact same Zeppelin card in my dirigible collection, almost looks like the same condition as mine too.

    ReplyDelete