Sunday, December 8, 2019

How I determine which team folder to put a scan in

Something I have not addressed, but bears mentioning: How I decide which team folder on Cardboard History Gallery a scan goes in on a player that's traded or changed teams. It's actually pretty simple. If the card shows the logo or the new team's color scheme, or any combination of them, then it goes to the new team.

These two cards, both of which I scanned in November, went to the new team's folder. The Recchi card shows him in Flyers uniform but the words show Penguins. That would not be enough to get it in the Penguins folder...however, the card's color scheme DOES reflect the Penguins' brown, instead of the Flyers' orange, and as such, into the Penguins folder it went. The Turner card has both the traded to wording, the new team's logo AND the Hawks colors on the bottom portion of the card front, although considering the Blazers also have red there that's less of a tell on this card, and probably wasn't the best choice to show...but it's a serial numbered card I pulled from a single pack purchase and I wanted to show this one.

On the other hand, this card below:
...is technically a Quebec Nordiques card, yet the card still features the Rangers logo and color scheme, so it will go into the Rangers folder. I will, however, list is as a Nordiques card in my Excel listing, when/if I ever type it into that. (As you may recall, I made it obsolete with the Cardboard History Gallery, but, I'm going to need something to occupy my time when I finish scanning everything, so I expect to type everything in eventually anyway)

The one exception I make to this is Expansion teams. Players taken in Expansion drafts ALWAYS go to their new team, no matter what color scheme or logo is shown on the card. 
The Grizzlies and Raptors both entered the NBA in the 1995-96 season, and some of the early season cards couldn't show current teams because they did not exist yet. This card, as all the 1st series of Collector's Choice in 1995-96, have sometimes very subtle "Drafted by" stamps on the front, while maintaining the original team's color in the team name, in this case, dark purple for the Jazz. 

Teams that move and if they change names are placed in the season where they belong, IF it's a current season card with the new name listed. Certain sets are late issues and blur the lines a bit. For example, I turn to the 1995-96 Collector's Choice set again, but this time in hockey:
The Nordiques moved to Colorado for the 1995-96 season, but the early season card issues are still listed as the Nordiques, and that's where this card is placed. 

Although I do not have an example to show, it can go the other way as well. The Nets moved from New Jersey to Brooklyn for the 2012-13 season, but Panini started putting the Brooklyn logo on the cards in the late 2011-12 season. That is of course incorrect and if I ever get those cards, they will be in the New Jersey album, despite showing the Brooklyn logo. 

Whenever I get to sorting out the NASCAR teams, it will be much easier. Whatever is shown on the card is what team they will go to, except in very rare circumstances that I cannot think of occurring in my collection off the top of my head. The reason being is that with the NASCAR sets, they don't issue enough cards to have transitional issues. The early season releases reflect the previous season, and in fact near the end of Press Pass's run, the flagship set of the season was being issued around Thanksgiving of the year before. The later sets of the season show the drivers with their new teams, making things much easier. I do plan to do the NASCAR teams- or at least the Cup teams- someday. I do not know when I will get around to it, however, as I want to get a lot more scanning done before I tackle that. Unlike the NBA and NHL, which have a finite number of teams, never exceeding 31 at any time, NASCAR is a totally different format and, if I do all three main series, can have over 100 teams in any given season. 

4 comments:

  1. Man... you are organized. I tip my cap to you buddy. When I come across a Rickey Henderson card where he's not pictured with the A's, he still goes into my A's folder. And when it comes to player PC's like Maddux... it doesn't matter if he's wearing a Cubs, Braves, Padres, or Dodgers jersey... he goes into my Maddux folder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of time on my hands...I copy and pasted each scan into folders for each person as well. Still working on uploading them. There will be almost 14,000 of them when I finish, or more, because I am always looking to add new people.

      Delete
  2. I've always wondered how other collectors classify these kinds of cards. Can't argue with your method, and it's more closely aligned with the way TCDB assigns teams. As for me, I just go by the uniform the player is wearing. There may be some cards in my Red Sox/Packers/Devils binders that have players listed with those teams but pictured on other teams. However if they're pictured with my PC teams they go in that binder-even if the card says "now with..."

    Also I've run into this problem for 1997-98 Whalers/Canes cards. If the player is pictured with the Whale but there's a Carolina logo in the corner.. I keep him in my Whaler binder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that this is something that differs for every collector. Since so much of what I do is about scanning and where I'm posting the scans, I figured I should explain it.

      Delete