Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Christmas Cards Part 2: This time I actually show the cards

I've been talking about my Christmas cards quite a bit, but not really showing them...it's time to change that!

Now, considering I got 892 cards- the 13th most in a day for me ever, at least documented- I can't show them all. I could, with the exception of the Topps stickers, but that would take forever to scroll through. I have them all up on the Cardboard History Gallery by this point so you can browse them there if you want to.

I will show the "Hits" and at least an example of every set I got some of.

What I really wanted the most this year was a box of Upper Deck Series 1, and I got one...and it was just as great as I was hoping it would be. My favorite card of the box, and quite possibly of the entire Christmas day haul was this one:
I love the UD Exclusives parallel! It's the longest running parallel in cardboard history and it's only the second NHL example I've pulled...although several others have been added on the secondary market. The fact that I pulled a Ranger makes it all the better. It's SN 13 of 100, which is a little hard to see- the 100 is over the linesman, mostly. Kind of a cool coincidence that it was SN 13 on my 13th largest day ever!
I also pulled the base card:
Aside from the serial numbering, the silver team and position bar changes to red on the UD Exclusives card, and the foil changes from silver to gold.

Although the Fast is without question my favorite card, this is probably the most important card I pulled...in fact, it's the first time I've EVER pulled a Young Gun of the #1 draft pick! Not only the first one I've pulled, it is the first one in my collection, total! Although I'm missing a few big ones, including his brother Quinn, by pulling this one I have a bit of hope of actually completing the full set this year. I know that Series 2 is going to have at least one expensive card, and from my favorite team at that, so I'm hoping I can pull a Kaapo Kakko.

 The 30th Anniversary of Upper Deck is a fun one- and has inspired a 30th Anniversary of Upper Deck post, which I have not even begun to write, but is formulating in my head. I don't actually have every Upper Deck flagship in my collection yet- I'm missing 2004-05, which was produced during the lockout year and is somewhat hard to find- so I don't know how I will handle that yet.
 This is a nice looking set as well. I suspect it may be based on a past insert from UD's history, but I can't place it, since I'm still relatively new to the NHL.
 The Shooting Stars is less interesting but it's my first insert of last year's Calder Trophy winner, so it's worth showing.
 The UD Canvas insert is ok but it seems like just a way to get another card of the stars produced. This is my first card of Suzuki, who was who the Golden Knights gave up to get Max Pacioretty. It is my first card of his.
The very last pack actually produced a relic! It's the second UD Game Jersey card I have pulled on Christmas Day, at least in hockey- the number goes up with NBA included- following Frederik Andersen two years ago, which was the first hockey relic I ever pulled.

UD's flagship has a great mix of action photography and detail shots. This is one of the latter, and gives a great look at Marc-Andre's helmet art. He usually never stops moving long enough to get a good look in game!

The other set I really wanted was this year's O-Pee-Chee. I missed it totally at retail (the overpowering smell of Starbucks makes me sick, I can't go check cards anymore), and feared I would miss the set entirely this year. That would not be the case, thanks to the hobby box I got! It is the first O-Pee-Chee brand hobby box I've ever opened in full!
I showed the blue parallel already, in the post about completing my 2020 goal already.
 This is the base design. The borders are white although they scan kinda funny. It's a solid design, and with 600 + cards, it's the largest set of the year...usually. It depends on how large the update in Upper Deck 2 will be, Topps Stickers might beat it this year.
 Oskar Linblom was recently diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, which is a form of bone cancer :( I hope he has a complete recovery, they say this one is treatable so I'm glad to hear that. 2019-20 was only his second full season.
 The Mini this year is not really a mini anymore. It's normal card height, but instead of being 2 and a half inches wide, it's 2 even. That's it. I got 4 of them in my box, and to be honest, I would rather have gotten 4 more base cards.
The Caramel insert also has parallels- it was issued in 2019, after all- and I pulled P.K. in this one as well. I don't think it's actually wood, rather, a covering over the top of the card. Again, I would rather have gotten another base card, although I can't complain about adding two more P.K. Subban cards to my collection- he's among my favorites, and one of the few players I will actually search for cards for (my normal single card buying technique is to sort by cheapest and add as many as I can until I run out of money) Since O-Pee-Chee is a very early season release- as in, it comes out during the Pre-season, or slightly before, all the players are listed with the teams they played for last year. The Predators traded P.K. to New Jersey during the off-season but he will likely have to wait until next season's release to get a OPC Devils card...maybe in the Update.
 Playing cards again. Meh.
Suddenly, I feel very old.
The Retro parallels fall one per pack and I like them...it would take at minimum 600 packs to complete the set, and with 24 packs per box, you're looking at 25 boxes to get them all, IF you get no duplicates...yikes! And yet, the gallery was already complete on the Database. I didn't get to post a single one. Extra yikes!

You are supposed to get two black bordered Retro parallels per box, and one Gold base card parallel...but as you can see, I got three black borders, and no gold borders! (I've already purchased the cheapest one on COMC, just so I could have one). Even better, the Black parallels are SN to 100 copies, and this is, I believe, the FIRST SN Golden Knights card I've ever pulled from a pack myself! It was in the very last pack, as well!

I'm not quite sure if the Topps sticker box I got was hobby or retail, or even if there is such a distinction, but at 630 cards, it's currently the largest set of the year. And with 50 packs in the box, I got a lot of them...but for some reason they seem to think because they are stickers they should have poor collation. I got a lot of duplicates, including three copies of one card- although unlike most card products, I got those duplicates of a superstar, in Jack Eichel. I have chosen not to scan the majority of the stickers now, since they will make great spacers for my scanning waves...but I did scan three pages worth.
 I think literally half of every NHL set I've opened a pack of had Jake Gardiner or Morgan Reilly as the first card of the set...and this one was no different!
You know I'm going to show my favorite player when I pull him out of a box break. I got the foil sticker of him as well but have not scanned it yet- I want to scan them in the order I got them, for some unknown reason, other than I'm a weirdo.

The foil cards are cool. They are holofoil, so they not only look nice in hand, but they scan well too. They fall one per pack.


I got one fatpack of MVP, and got two of the three cards I wanted most from the set! (The one I didn't get? Lundqvist. Having had enough of that, I went ahead and bought it on COMC with the $100 my brother gave me for spending there as my Christmas present from him.

 I like this year's Artifacts set, but with just a cut out of a player over a computer generated background, on every single card, it's my least favorite of the 5 NHL sets from the current season represented in my collection. Still, new cards are new cards, and I'm glad to have them!
Hey, look at that! An actual artifact! I've gotten 5 blasters of Artifacts since I began collecting hockey (maybe more, I can't remember) and this is the first actual artifact I've pulled.

 The 2015-16 Star Rookies box set is awesome. 25 cards, 23 of which I needed, I wish UD did this every year.


I got a little stack of numbered parallels from last year's artifacts, and a couple of the numbered base cards as well. That was nice, as you should all know my SN addiction by now.

 I had no idea that the CHL set was released in blaster form. I was thrilled to get that because I love collecting cards of lower levels of the sport. I'm going to have an expanded post on that soon(ish; by the end of 2020 at least) but I had to include a couple here. And example of the base card, and check out that team logo. It's a seal! The Saint Johns' Sea Dogs.
 The other base card design, for the rookies, which are one per pack...short printed, but not as SPed as the NHL issue.
There are red parallels, I got 4 in my box. I wish the Moose Jaw Warriors had a moose on their uniform, but not to fear...
...the Halifax Mooseheads to the rescue!

I really did not expect a hobby box of Victory Lane! I told my family I would be happy with anything NASCAR, but I expected a blaster at most. Not a hobby box! This is a base card- they are all mirror-etched foil, which means they do not scan particularly well.
 Love this insert!
 Pedal to the Metal fall 2 per pack, and at 100 cards, is the exact same size as the base set. It's not a parallel, it's it's own insert, which is kind of strange, but...Panini.
 Always nice to pull an SN parallel, even nicer when it's door numbered! This is only my 4th in my entire NASCAR collection, two of which I added in December 2019. The other came from my COMC order, and the post covering it is written (and has been since before Christmas) but I am not sure when I will get it published.
 Not a huge fan of Chase Elliott, but a 4-piece relic card I am always happy to add. That is, clockwise from top left, firesuit, tire, presumably more firesuit, sheet metal.
Odd they used a photo from 2005 when Joe is still active, but again, Panini does Panini things. And I'm thrilled to have it, I've always been a fan of Front Row Joe.
 Unlike a lot of NASCAR fans, I like the Dillon brothers. So this was a nice pull! Firesuit, sheet metal and tire once more.
And Ty makes an appearance on the non-autographed Triple Swatch design! Ty was actually in the first pack I opened...while Chase was in the last. Once again, we have firesuit, tire and sheet metal. The tire has some lettering, while the sheet metal has some race damage.

This was a great box! Now, I was expecting a blaster and I did get one of them too, of Prizm!

 #!()@ variations.
 Blue parallel, SN to 75!
 Camo parallel, which are exclusive to the blasters, which gives you three of them.
 An insert that actually shows a car will always be my favorite.
 Yay for clip art! Where's the Statue of Liberty? Now that Dale Earnhardt Jr. has retired, Martin Truex Jr. is my favorite active driver...although I like most of the drivers.
 Ryan Blaney has the capability to become my favorite active driver some day. Both he and Darrell Wallace Jr.- who I didn't get any cards of on Christmas at all- do, and they are both 10 years newer to the sport than Martin, so they should be around a while. Ryan won Halloween in 2019 by dressing as Princess Leia from Star Wars...in the chain mail bikini! This is the Prizm Parallel to the Variation by the way. It looks nicer in hand than in scans.
A Red, White & Blue parallel, which is one per blaster and not SN again, after being SN'd last year. Jimmie, who has won more races than any other driver in a year that starts with 20- and the second most in my lifetime-has announced 2020 is his final season.

When I was listing my NASCAR cards in my Excel file, I realized that I hit 34,000 unique NASCAR cards on Christmas day! The Milestone card was this one-
And as you can see, Paul Menard was thrilled for me.

I didn't get very much NBA this year, and I'm actually ok with that. The NHL now has my full attention, and NASCAR will get my full attention on race days when it starts up again. I'm still an NBA fan, but it doesn't hold my #1 top spot anymore, as it did for a long time. The NHL and NASCAR is just non-stop action, all the time- the NBA is non-stop reviewing lately, and it's taken some of the fun out of it...the broadcasting is also terrible, which does play a role even though it shouldn't. I used to struggle with what to watch live...now there's no struggle. It's hockey...and I watch NBA on repeats, if I feel like it. There are some nights I don't even bother, which I know I should not do, but I just can't get motivated like I once did. Now, with that said, I am still an NBA fan, and the NBA still commands at least 1/4th of my entire collection. But going forward the NHL is likely to be what I'm spending most of my collection focus on.
 Those Cavs alternates from last year were so cool.
 Vince Carter made history last night (for me writing this, 2 nights ago for when I have it scheduled for) by being the first player in NBA history to play in four different decades- the 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020s. In his (also a record) 22nd season, he has announced this is his final year.
I only got one new player in the base cards
but one more in the parallels, below, and this insert is my first card of him.
 Always happy to get a new card of Kevin Love, an extremely distant cousin.

Two cards SN to 25 copies, from single retail packs! That's pretty amazing. And the Poole is not only my first card of him, it's also SN 25/25!

And that's the highlights of what I got! It was a great Christmas, with a lot of great cards, and an even better scan-through percentage. I still have cards I got for Christmas 2015 that I have not scanned yet...possibly even earlier. I'm getting there...slowly but surely.

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations on pulling the Hughes YG! And I didn't realize there was another (part) Japanese guy playing in the NHL for me to collect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Menard comment was funny. And Blaney? I can't wait to see more of his antics.
    You had a great Christmas I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! You were truly hooked up with goodies this Christmas! Thanks Hotrod Mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really was...it was awesome! As an aside, not sure if you saw it but the Carolina Hurricanes did a Sumo themed Storm Surge this week...It's probably on youtube already!

      Delete
    2. I just watched it. Pretty interesting!

      Delete
  4. Huuughes! Great pull there! I like the Barkov and Subban as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's some excellent photography on those hockey cards. The Pettersson and Aho cards show you good examples of how much a stick can flex when you're really leaning into a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point. I didn't even really think about it until I read your comment, but once I scrolled back to them it really stands out!

      Delete
  6. A ton of great cards. The Chase Elliot, Connor McDavid, Fleury, and the Binnington cards stand out. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sooooo want a box of O-Pee-Chee Hockey but so don't want to pay the shipping for one. And locally the only Hockey ever stocked is regular Upper Deck.

    So I have been hoping to see a box break of that set for some time, thanks!

    A long delay comment, I know, but I finally realized to try your "NHL" label to see if you might have some of those this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked! The one bad thing is that...if you consider it a bad thing...is that you'd need 3 or 4 boxes to complete the set. It's a fun break but being a 600 card set it does leave you wanting more.

      Delete