Thursday, January 30, 2020

Set Completion: 1994 Power

I was in such a burnout mode last year that I didn't write up a Set Completion post for any of the 6 sets I completed in 2019. The burnout is now over, I'm back...and I have already completed two sets in 2020! The first you saw about in the Christmas Part 3 post, but now a set is getting it's own post, and hopefully I will keep that up...I may go back and retroactively write posts for the sets I completed in 2019, and perhaps even older, someday...but not now.

Set: 1994 Power
Set Size: 150 Cards
Began Collecting: 1994, when the set was issued. Exact date unknown.
Completed: January 18th, 2020 (26 years), from a hobby box I found at a model car show
Full Checklist and Gallery: 1994 Power
Thoughts: Although 1994 is my favorite season ever for NASCAR cards, I would actually consider Power to be my 18th favorite set out of 19 major sets issued for the year. (Only Skybox is lower, and that is because it's tall-boy sized and the smallest set of the year at only 26 cards) The design is just simply not all that great, and the majority of the car photos are either digitally altered, partially covered, or both... The checklist of the set confused the heck out of me as a 10 year old- the first 73 cards in the set have prefixes on the number, and I figured they were some sort of insert or parallel. Not the case, it was just weird. I had so few of them when new that I didn't figure it out then...I'm not sure when I finally did, but by time I made the paper listing for the set in 2007 I had it figured out...The set has a very rare Dale Earnhardt Hologram that is serially numbered, but I do not have it...the only copy on COMC is listed at $1000 although a lot of that is due to the case it's in....the set has one full parallel, Gold Cup '94, which was one per pack...I have 44 of 150. There was also a partial parallel of Prisms for the car cards at the end of the set, which was retail only...I have 4 of 20. This was the last release ever from the Pro Set company. Being typical Pro Set, there are two major errors in the set: T.W. Taylor is shown on one of Mike Wallace's cards (Taylor did not get a card in the set) and Barney Hall's card back is printed upside down. on both the base and Gold Cup cards.
Favorite memory of the set: Honestly, I don't have a lot of memories of it. I think I only got four packs worth when new, and I have filled in some more since then, over the years...but I think my favorite memory may actually be when I opened the box I bought while watching the snow fall on the day I completed the set.
Last card needed: #118, Jimmy Spencer, of Junior Johnson & Associates.

5 comments:

  1. 26 years!? Wow, you're a lot more patient than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still have not completed the first sets I started with in 1988...

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on completing this set. $1000 for an Earnhardt hologram? Heck... even the Pro Set Lombardi Trophy holograms don't command that much money.

    ReplyDelete